Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Help choosing first car, preferably diesel?

Options
  • 23-11-2012 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭

Doing the leaving cert. this year, so I've decided it would be a wiser move getting a car this summer since the parents have told me they'd get me the car if I put in the effort this year :D Budget will probably be max. 2000, though could probably go higher if I put in some money towards it myself. Looking for advice on a reliable first car. Also, we've got a diesel tank at home, so if it was possible for me to go down that road, and I do prefer driving diesel cars.
    Any car types you people would recommend? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,420 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Have you considered insurance costs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

Older type skoda Octavia 1.9tdi is diesel cheap reliable and easy enough to drive. Only problem is 1.9 engine so 700 euro tax approx. insurance may also be an issue. But other than that they are truly a great under rated car IMO. 2k would probably but you a nice 2003 or so. My family have had plenty of them and none of them caused any trouble and 55-60 mpg which is nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

1.4 hdi 206. 1.4tdi polo/ibiza/fabia. 1.4 d4d corolla.

As above try sticking to a smaller engine should help with insurance. Also try have your full licence got before you get the car

sean1141 wrote: »
    . 1.4 d4d corolla.

You won't get one for €2 grand though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,433 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Yeah , tax and insurance will cost a good bit on a cheap diesel ( usually large engine) . I know fiat do a 1.3 diesel but don't know how long they've been doing it.

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement

You won't get a fiat or Opel 1.3 diesel for 2k as the engine was only out since 2007 or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

That 1.3 Fiat engine is out a while longer than '07;)

Also, and I really don't mean to get on a high horse but what colour is the tank at homes diesel? Just if you get caught it will screw you even more on insurance and or fines. Not worth it in the long run.

If you're doing small miles a petrol might be a better option.

Also, and I really don't mean to get on a high horse but what colour is the tank at homes diesel? Just if you get caught it will screw you even more on insurance and or fines. Not worth it in the long run.

The op could easily have road diesel at home in a tank if they have alot of vans cars etc your probably right to warn the op just incase there plan was to run on non road diesel. if they were caught once it would wipe out any saving. I was sure the earliest 1.3 diesel was the 2006 combo and most cars didn't have it till 2007. What cars had it before then I'm just curious I'm not saying your wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Bpmull wrote: »
    The op could easily have road diesel at home in a tank if they have alot of vans or cars.

Agreed. We used to have one (with only 2 cars) from about 00 - 08

The op could easily have road diesel at home in a tank if they have alot of vans or cars. I don't think anyone would be stupid enough try and permanently run a car on green diesel. but I suppose there is always someone that will try it.your probably right to warn the op just incase that was there plan. I was sure the earliest 1.3 diesel was the 2006 combo and must cars didn't have it till 2007. What cars had it before then I'm just curious I'm not saying your wrong.

I asked a question what diesel was in the tank. I didn't come down on him for anything. I just mentioned that if it was green it might not be a good plan as a learner. I never implied they were stupid enough to run a car on green. I just gave some honest opinion. Re-read again and I didn't imply anything of the sort.

If I wanted to be a high horse I would have made assumptions like you have in your post.

• Advertisement

I asked a question what diesel was in the tank. I didn't come down on him for anything. I just mentioned that if it was green it might not be a good plan as a learner. I never implied they were stupid enough to run a car on green. I just gave some honest opinion. Re-read again and I didn't imply anything of the sort.

If I wanted to be a high horse I would have made assumptions like you have in your post.

I understand what you mean now sorry I didn't read that great. I know you weren't making an assumptions as there is a lot of people who have perfectly legit tanks with road diesel if you live in the middle of nowhere etc sometimes it's just handier to buy diesel in bulk I wrote the above wrong I wasn't accusing the op of anything either .

I understand what you mean now sorry I didn't read that great. I know you weren't making an assumptions as there is a lot of people who have perfectly legit tanks with road diesel if you live in the middle of nowhere etc sometimes it's just handier to buy diesel in bulk I wrote the above wrong I wasn't accusing the op of anything either .

I known there is. Makes sense too! But I meant it as a "just in case" comment.

And let's face it, if we could get away with it we'd try it too:p

Just on the topic of green, our local station sells it and the amount of cars vans and jeeps that fill up with it is not funny. Some pull a can out of the boot and take it to the side of the car to 'fill' then the boys in the transits pulling back the sliding door and letting on they are filling up cans is not funny. Then there is some that will just put the nozzle into the car and fill away with not a care in the world!

At 50cent a liter cheaper it is tempting.

Just on the topic of green, our local station sells it and the amount of cars vans and jeeps that fill up with it is not funny. Some pull a can out of the boot and take it to the side of the car to 'fill' then the boys in the transits pulling back the sliding door and letting on they are filling up cans is not funny. Then there is some that will just put the nozzle into the car and fill away with not a care in the world!

At 50cent a liter cheaper it is tempting.

I have noticed a decrease in revenue checkpoints locally lately...

• Registered Users Posts: 51,171 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

My uncle had a 2005 Corsa with that 1.3 Fiat engine, I also had a loan of a 2005 Combo with the same engine.

bazz26 wrote: »
    My uncle had a 2005 Corsa with that 1.3 Fiat engine, I also had a loan of a 2005 Combo with the same engine.

That engine came out in the punto in 2003, same with the corsa.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Denis322

Don't worry it's not green diesel ;) Works out much cheaper just to buy road diesel in bulk, especially living out in the country. Chances are next year I could be going to college in Cork next year, so I'd be doing plenty of miles in it. Even just around where I live there's only 1 terrible bus route, so I'll be driving pretty much everywhere.
    I'm currently driving the mothers car, I've booked the test and all going well I'll have it by summer, even if it takes a few goes.
    I don't mind spending money on something decent, but at the same I was thinking of just getting something to do me for a year or so, then move onto something better since I'll be most likely to get a few bumps and scratches in the first year. Hence if a diesel car didn't really work out to be a good choice for an 18 year old male, insurance and tax wise, I'd be willing to go petrol for the first car.

Denis322 wrote: »
    Don't worry it's not green diesel ;) Works out much cheaper just to buy road diesel in bulk, especially living out in the country. Chances are next year I could be going to college in Cork next year, so I'd be doing plenty of miles in it. Even just around where I live there's only 1 terrible bus route, so I'll be driving pretty much everywhere.
    I'm currently driving the mothers car, I've booked the test and all going well I'll have it by summer, even if it takes a few goes.
    I don't mind spending money on something decent, but at the same I was thinking of just getting something to do me for a year or so, then move onto something better since I'll be most likely to get a few bumps and scratches in the first year. Hence if a diesel car didn't really work out to be a good choice for an 18 year old male, insurance and tax wise, I'd be willing to go petrol for the first car.
    I don't think diesels are more expensive to insure I am an 18 year old male and insured on 1.3 cdti and the insurance is very low cant remember. Since I started driving I've only been insured on diesels and all were reasonable enough to insure. I paid less than 3.5k for my 2008 Astra diesel only thing is its commerical that's why it was cheap to buy car version is approx 8k .still if you look you should get a good diesel for 2-3k.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

since I'll be most likely to get a few bumps and scratches in the first year

I don't like hearing that and its been said a lot on here of late, I mean what exactly are you planning on bumping into and scratching? Just walls, trees and lampposts or other cars, children and small animals? You should get a smaller car if you can't drive properly yet. Preferably a hatchback so you don't back into stuff. Not being preachy like, but its hardly bumper cars.

I don't like hearing that and its been said a lot on here of late, I mean what exactly are you planning on bumping into and scratching? Just walls, trees and lampposts or other cars, children and small animals? You should get a smaller car if you can't drive properly yet. Preferably a hatchback so you don't back into stuff. Not being preachy like, but its hardly bumper cars.

Haha I hope I won't be hitting anything :P When ye say it like that I kinda wonder myself what I mean :rolleyes: But anyway I'm obviously gonna be most likely to damage the car during the first year, no denying that. It's one thing to drive the parents car with them in it, it'll be something else when I'm out on my own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Have you considered insurance costs?

You still haven't answered this?

Using fbd quick quote.
    Male aged 18 with full licence and no ncb with the car valued at 2000 living in co Dublin.

Less than 1l = 1700

1. 1l = 2000

1.4l = 2350

1.6l = 2350

1.8l = 2650

1.9l = 2650

2.0l = 2650

3.0l = 2850

All quick quotes and rounded to the nearest 50.

You still haven't answered this?
    Sorry forgot about that, obviously I'll be looking to keep the insurance down. I'd say the biggest engine I could get would be 1.4 otherwise the insurance would just be too much. Currently it's over 1500 to have me on my parents car, so I can only imagine what it's going to be like with my own policy...

Going by the fbd quick quotes it would be 300 more to insure a 1.9 golf over a 1.4 one which would be well worth it if it was not an sdi golf!!

I know they are only quick quotes and could change a lot when you go into detail in them.

Using fbd quick quote.
    Male aged 18 with full licence and no ncb with the car valued at 2000 living in co Dublin.

Less than 1l = 1700

1. 1l = 2000

1.4l = 2350

1.6l = 2350

1.8l = 2650

1.9l = 2650

2.0l = 2650

3.0l = 2850

All quick quotes and rounded to the nearest 50.

Can that really be right? That sounds cheap to me considering qoutes I've heard my friends get. One of my mates bought a 98 Clio from his unlce who fixed it up, cost €200. Rang up the insurance co. and they wanted over 4,000 I think it was, and if he became a named driver on it it was still over 2,500. Mad money

Can that really be right? That sounds cheap to me considering qoutes I've heard my friends get. One of my mates bought a 98 Clio from his unlce who fixed it up, cost €200. Rang up the insurance co. and they wanted over 4,000 I think it was, and if he became a named driver on it it was still over 2,500. Mad money

Try doing a few full quotes and see do they change much..

Try doing a few full quotes and see do they change much..
    I found those rough quotes mean nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

I wouldn't advertise on a public forum that you have a tank at home. In case, through other posts, someone may be able to pin down your location you may find that tank empty/leaked all over the place some morning. Country is full of diesel/oil thieves.

Advertisement