Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Small business books

Options
  • 23-11-2012 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi

I am a small business owner, sole trader just myself and one employee partime, I pay my accountant €3500 per year to do vat returns and end of years income returns.

My question is, can I take a partime course or some kind of system so I can do my vat returns myself and most of the other work so I won't have to pay my accountant so much,

It's a retail shop so it just a bunch of invoices and till rolls for cash

I've only recently taught about this so I'm not sure what direction to take.

Any advice would be appreciated greatly.

Thanks

Robbie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭lulubenny

I would definitely recommend Big Red Book accounts package - I use it for my small business (sounds a bit like yours - retail with one employee!) and its great. Its just like having a range of manual books that you would keep your records in but it does all the double entry for ya!
    Also can calculate your VAT returns even if your VAT is on 'cash receipts' basis. I have used a few other accounts software packages but I think BRB is the easiest IMO.

As regards courses, its worth checking out your local community development company (the people who look after back to enterprise schemes etc) as they run courses on a regular basis on self employed accounts including year end returns. Although I would hold onto your accountant for your year end returns - I do up all my own accounts on Big Red Book and then pass on the year end reports to the accountant. It means less for the accountant to do and that in turn means a lower bill for their services for me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23 ramacc

Clanbert wrote: »
    Hi

I am a small business owner, sole trader just myself and one employee partime, I pay my accountant €3500 per year to do vat returns and end of years income returns.

My question is, can I take a partime course or some kind of system so I can do my vat returns myself and most of the other work so I won't have to pay my accountant so much,

It's a retail shop so it just a bunch of invoices and till rolls for cash

I've only recently taught about this so I'm not sure what direction to take.

Any advice would be appreciated greatly.

Thanks

Robbie
    3,500 seems expensive for unaudited what kind if volumes of invoices do you have

Advertisement