Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Abuse story line on Coronation Street.

Options
  • 23-11-2012 7:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭

I've been following the recent story line on and off between Tyrone and Kirsty. For those of you who don't watch the show, Kirsty is manipulative, controlling and physically violent towards him on a regular basis. Stopping him from seeing friends/family and conversing with other females. It is all very disturbing viewing but an important one at that. It has even encourage real life victims to get involved

I have to take my hat off to the writers here as the story is being handled very well. Obviously, male victims of domestic abuse is something that needs highlighting and talking about and not ridiculed or dismissed by certain sections of society. It is a breath of fresh air to see a high profile soap tackling this issue.

Skip to 9.22

Interestingly, in an early episode a neighbour overhears them arguing and hears objects being thrown about and she makes the assumption that Tyrone is the one being abusive.

At one point, the writers tried to blame her actions on her father suggesting that its a mans fault that she is abusive. I felt the attempt here to make us feel sympathetic towards her over her victim a bit dissapointing. That aspect to the story line seems to have filtered away now.

As somebody who has observed at least 4 male friends suffer at the hands of an abusive partner (without the violence), I think cases such as this are far more common than we are lead to believe.

I'm just wondering, if anybody else here has been following the story line and if so how do you think it is been handled and played out. Apparently, the level of abuse to escalate in the coming episodes.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 454 ✭✭Israel_Dagg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Emeraldy Pebbles

py2006 wrote: »
    At one point, the writers tried to blame her actions on her father suggesting that its a mans fault that she is abusive. I felt the attempt here to make us feel sympathetic towards her over her victim a bit dissapointing. That aspect to the story line seems to have filtered away now.

Well, often times, abusive behaviour is learned, so this isn't too crazy an angle to take. It doesn't excuse it, just explains it. Whether it was learned from a male or female is neither here nor there really.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Perhaps, but I'd rather focus on the fact that this subject matter is being tackled which hopefully will dispel the myth and ridiculte that some people attribute to male victims.

Are you watching SafeIreland?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

py2006 wrote: »
    Perhaps, but I'd rather focus on the fact that this subject matter is being tackled which hopefully will dispel the myth and ridiculte that some people attribute to male victims.

Are you watching SafeIreland?

Whilst it does bring the issue to an international audience it is at the same time a soap. High on content low on quality.

Advertisement