Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cutting Edge Radio

Options
  • 23-11-2012 7:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭

Has there ever been an attempt to do something a little different in Ireland? All the radio seems so generic and safe.

I've being listening to old tapes of Howard Stern and Opie and Anthony and I'm trying to picture how shows like that would go down in Ireland. Remember Stern only moved to satellite in 2005 so he really was pushing boundaries for most of his career.

Now I know these shows aren't to everyone's taste, I find some of Stern's 'bits' appalling but I respect that he's got the balls to do it and it does make for interesting radio.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Something different.. What needs to happen first is the regulations need to be reformed before operators can reform. Personally there is way to much talk on radio in Ireland. It stems from a rule the BCI have in place for operators.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

I think the most ground breaking thing ever to happen in Irish Radio was Radio Nova years ago possibly early 80's when they ran a competition for the 50th ? caller and that caller won 1,000 pounds I think. I'm nearly sure the telephone exchange was unable to cope and phone lines all over Dublin went down....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Back when Nova was a good station.....;);).doubt if they could get 50 listeners now...:P

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Back when Nova was a good station.....;);).doubt if they could get 50 listeners now...:P

Back when Nova was the name of a completely different station (different company, different genre, different target demographic and unlicensed) to the one it is today, you mean?

As for your "50 listeners" quip, well, the recent JNLR says they've over 133,000... but hey, who ya gonna believe, eh?

Regarding the original topic, while I agree that many efforts are being "cutting edge" and standing out from the crowd are somewhat stifled by the regulations that are in place, that's no excuse for blandness or lack of originality that many think blight the industry.

Advertisement