Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**NUI MAYNOOTH OPEN DAY AND ARTS**

Options
  • 23-11-2012 7:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭

Went to the Maynooth open day and I thought it was fabulous. Absolutely in love with the college and definitely putting it down first choice on my CAO! Didn't look at the swimming pool, completely forgot, whats it like for people who are studying here?

I'm doing Arts in maynooth, Music, Irish and one other subject. Could anyone who is doing these give me info about the course and modules and what times i would be in? Is Irish like LC Gaeilge or different??

Oh! And if your doing arts, 3 subjects does that mean you have 3 exams?? And do you pick on major (which would be music for me because its my favorite of the three) and two minor subjects?

Sorry for the q's but answers would be very much appreciated! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭plumpote

Hi lcstress,

I'm doing Irish and Music, and think it's great!
    Timetable-wise, you'll probably be in at 9am on Monday and Tuesday morning, but your schedule shouldn't be too hectic.

Modules
    Music-you'll have music history (Classical and Romantic in 1st Semester, and 20th Century in 2nd Sem), performance, and theory. They're manageable enough. The theory is grand-they start with the clefs, time signatures and key signatures, and move on from there! Music History is nice too, and performance is great.

Irish-
    You'll have a Grammar and literature module each semester. The grammar moves quite fast, and if you know your LC stuff, it will be fine for you for 1st Sem anyway. Literature is quite like the LC, you read 2 books and do poetry and drama etc.

For most arts subjects, you do double honours (once you get past 1st year). Unless you choose to switch to bMus, you'll be doing equal amounts of credits for each of your subjects, so no major/minoring. Nice and simple!
    You'll have (probably) one exam per module, and then you'll have continuous assessment for some things (like bits of the grammar module). No need to be worrying about that for the moment though :cool:

If you've any questions, ask away! Always happy to help!

Advertisement