Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question for anyone who rents a workshop?

Options
  • 23-11-2012 6:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭

Just wondering what other rates to consider other than monthly rent, like insurance etc. Is there much health and safety bullsh*t if you have no employees?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

bizzyb wrote: »
    Just wondering what other rates to consider other than monthly rent, like insurance etc. Is there much health and safety bullsh*t if you have no employees?

As far as I know you still need a Healy and safety statement for the insurance company. Then there are water rates and council rates I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭bizzyb

As far as I know you still need a Healy and safety statement for the insurance company. Then there are water rates and council rates I think.

Thanks galwaydude, is it specialized companies that offer this type of insurance or do all the big insurance companies offer it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

bizzyb wrote: »
    Thanks galwaydude, is it specialized companies that offer this type of insurance or do all the big insurance companies offer it.

All the big companies will quote you business insurance. The internet brokers tend to shy away from it so some old fashioned phoning around or using an actual broker will be needed. Beware Council rates which can be hefty. They are based on square footage not turnover so are inherently unfair imho.
    Get a quote from from the Council before you commit.Don't forget water rates/ESB/gas bills and even the musical rights association if you play a radio !
    The insurance company may stipulate other costly items before they quote like alarms/fire protection/removal of asbestos etc.
    Welcome to Ireland Inc !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

Any sort of basic insurance on a woodworking shop is going to cost at least a grand, i was quoted 12k one year back to 2.5k last year (pretty basic policy) (based primarily on turnover and risk assessment. most lads are not insuring one man workshops0. Commercial Rates are mental, but a lot depends on where you are, most lads avoid paying these till they get the knock on the door. Water rates have never effected me. Esb is one of those things you just have to allow for.

Whats this music charge ricipio or are you takin the mick, i know a mate who had a pub got billed alright but they will hardly charge workshops?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

1chippy wrote: »
    Any sort of basic insurance on a woodworking shop is going to cost at least a grand, i was quoted 12k one year back to 2.5k last year (pretty basic policy) (based primarily on turnover and risk assessment. most lads are not insuring one man workshops0. Commercial Rates are mental, but a lot depends on where you are, most lads avoid paying these till they get the knock on the door. Water rates have never effected me. Esb is one of those things you just have to allow for.

Whats this music charge ricipio or are you takin the mick, i know a mate who had a pub got billed alright but they will hardly charge workshops?

No , not taking the mick,If you have an area that the public can access and you play a radio or TV you must pay the musical rights assoc. The important bit is allowing the public access.

• Advertisement
Advertisement