Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fatherly wisdom

Options
  • 23-11-2012 4:12pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Before my dad passed away he gave me some useful little gems of advice / things that would help me in life. Some of these may seem trivial but I am fond of them. I hope to pass on some gems of my own to my kids.

So here are a few of them:

When you're drinking and you realise that you're nicely tipsy, it's time to ease off - you already have a gut full of drink waiting to go into your bloodstream.

When you're peeing, two things:
    1) Lift the seat. If you don't, you will probably sprinkle it. Don't sprinkle the seat, people!
    2) Don't pee directly in the water. It's noisey and causes splashing. Instead pee on the porcelain just to the side of the water. Silent + no splashy.

If you taste something and you don't like it, wait a while then try it again. Always try something twice.

I'm sure there are others, they're just the ones that came to me off the top of my head.

So what advice did your father give you? Or what advice have you passed on to your kids?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,796 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Work hard - don't be a bluffer and pass the work to everyone else. Pull your weight.

I have small kids and the one thing i try to install is manners. Please and thank you are a must ALWAYS!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 806 ✭✭✭getzls

Well i do all that bit about peeing.

Why do women moan aboit us guys not putting seat down?

They don't put it up for us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Emeraldy Pebbles

getzls wrote: »
    Well i do all that bit about peeing.

Why do women moan aboit us guys not putting seat down?

Because if you stumble out to the loo at night and plonk yourself down without looking (as one might do when half asleep ;)), if the toilet seat is up, it hurts, it really, really hurts. If the toilet seat is down when a guy stumbles out to pee, there might be a bit of a mess but nobody will get hurt. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭finipops

Because if you stumble out to the loo at night and plonk yourself down without looking (as one might do when half asleep ;)), if the toilet seat is up, it hurts, it really, really hurts. If the toilet seat is down when a guy stumbles out to pee, there might be a bit of a mess but nobody will get hurt. :)

I'd rather have it up. You wouldn't want a toilet seat left down and people pissing all over the seat? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

I can't remember all that many things. He has told me a lot over the years though.

1. "A man is nothing without his word" - his father told him that, and he told me a few years ago.

2. "If a woman has just got a new haircut or whatever don't say anything negative about it" - that was after I made a comment about my mum's new glasses. Didn't go down too well with her :P.

3. "Marry a primary school teacher" - decent pay and they'll have the same holidays as me. Also there are some very good looking female primary teachers around.

4. "Tread softly because you tread on my dreams" - it's a quote from a W.B. Yeats poem but my dad has said it to me a few times. I try to think about it before I open my mouth to knock someone but it's difficult.

5. "It's not how it starts, it's how it finishes" - I'm sick of hearing him saying that at this stage. It's make perfect sense though and can be applied to any situation in life.

I really must sit down with him again at Christmas and have a good long chat about everything and anything. Hopefully I might pick up some tips along the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭GalwayGuy2

My Grandfather, not father but quite interesting. Said it when we heard a brutal killing of some gang guy or other(honestly can't remember) "You live by the sword, you die by the sword"

It's such an interesting saying on so many levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭jessiejam

When my dad was teaching me to drive. He always said believe that everyone else on the road is thick. In otherwords be prepared for the unexpected while driving. Nearly 18 years driving and never had a tip.

Teaching my own daughter to drive now and that was one of the first things I said to her. I got in return, "ALRIGHT MAM!". Gonna be a fun few months:o

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

My dads advice to me - always stay active, keep fit as you won't find it as easy when you get older.

This is a 57 year old man who can do the splits....I should probably listen to him!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,536 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

"Never look down on anybody, because some day they could be looking down on you."

I'm nowhere near far enough into my career to realise the importance of this, but will always stick by it. I can say with 100% certainty that it worked well for him.

Advertisement