Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New book to warn children about Lyme Disease

Options
  • 23-11-2012 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Tick Talk Ireland have written a new children's book to help warn children, teachers & parents about the dangers of ticks, the carriers of Lyme Disease. Did you know that Lyme is alive & kicking in Ireland? Would you know how to prevent infection?

Written by Jenny O'Dea, Lyme disease suffer & co-founder of Tick Talk Ireland.

An educational story & picture book following the adventures of Luna & Dips (tick). Follow Luna from her birth as a young larva as she navigates her way through the trials & tribulations of growing up. She learns many things from her adult friend Dips but often has to go & undertake her quest alone. She yearns to be grown up & look just like Fantaz, a nymphal tick, who gives her more advice. Will Luna grow up to be the tick she desires?

We'd love to make the book available free to schools, accompanied with a factsheet with tips on protection & prevention. For more details & a video clip of our current project head on down at: http://www.fundit.ie/project/the-adv...-of-luna--dips

We're also looking for helping with funding - pledges can be made on the site link above in return for rewards including free t-shirts, certificate, copy of the book, tick pullers & maybe even a free night's stay at Clontarf Castle for 2!

For anyone living in the Galway area (a hotspot area for Lyme disease) maybe come down & see us at the Christmas Craft Fair 8/9 Dec at the Oranmore Community Centre from 10am-6pm.. There'll be loads of crafts stalls, lots of home baking, a remembrance tree, Tick Talk awareness table & children's entertainer all available on the day.

And don't forget to bring your letters for Santa! smile.png

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭Odelay

This is important, it does happen and we all should know the signs to look out for. Can happen to those that work in forestry, especially where deer roam.

I like the video, it should not frighten us from going outdoors, but inform us. I think it does that.

Tick talk - can you post a 1,2,3 on what exactly people should be looking out for and should do about it? Also post a copy of the information sign at the national park that we could print out?

It can hit anyone, I know of one hard, diesel sucking forest machine owner brought down by this, the weight loss was incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Tick Talk

Odelay wrote: »
    This is important, it does happen and we all should know the signs to look out for. Can happen to those that work in forestry, especially where deer roam.

I like the video, it should not frighten us from going outdoors, but inform us. I think it does that.

Tick talk - can you post a 1,2,3 on what exactly people should be looking out for and should do about it? Also post a copy of the information sign at the national park that we could print out?

It can hit anyone, I know of one hard, diesel sucking forest machine owner brought down by this, the weight loss was incredible.

Hi there, thanks for the comments on the video,I appreciate your thoughts. Here's some tips on prevention & what to look out for. Some of the tips maybe tricky for forestry & farm workers due to the level of time out in the countryside but if we can minimise risk it can go a long way to prevent an infection.

Tips on tick bite prevention:

Do: keep to footpaths & avoid tall grasses where possible (ticks attach to their host by crawling up tall grasses & wait in a 'questing' position. They can detect carbon dioxide & wait with their hooked feet extended - therefore foot paths are less dangerous places to tread!)

Do: tuck trousers into socks where possible (totally uncool but helps to prevent ticks crawling under clothes, it's natural for them to crawl upwards to find a spot to feed.)

Do: wear tick repellants ie DEET or Permethrin products. (Also protect your pets as they can readily bring ticks into the home.)

Do: check yourself after the end of each walk. Ticks will crawl into blood rich places such as behind the ear, back of the knee, even in the groin area so vigilance is required! (Check pets & children too. Repellants don't necessarily kill the ticks so still keep an eye out even if sprays are used..)

Do: use a tick remover if a tick is found (the sooner it is removed the better.) If you don't have a tick twister then fine tipped tweezers work well ensuring the tweezers are held parallel as close to the skin as possible (this helps to remove all the mouth parts that are embedded under the skin).

Do: remove the tick gently & place it in a clear plastic sealable bag or bottle. Write the date the tick was removed & keep it in case of symptoms to show the doctor. (Use an antiseptic wipe to clean the bite area too & try not to touch the tick with your fingers.)

Do: Keep an eye out for symptoms after a tick bite. These may include an expanding rash either as a bulls-eye rash (in concentric rings) or sometimes an expanding uniform rash. This may occur weeks after the bite so remember to keep checking the area.

Don't: squeeze the body of the tick or use surgical spirits, vaseline or a match. This causes the tick discomfort & they may regurgitate their blood meal which is where the lyme bacteria are hiding.

Don't: forget to keep an eye out for symptoms such as a rash or summertime flu (muscle aches, joint pains, weakness, fatigue).

Don't: delay if you do get symptoms following a tick bite, they may seem mild at the time but it can get a lot more serious causing in some cases meningitis, bell's palsy (drooping on one side of the face), nerve damage & joint pain. Swelling in the optic nerve can occur & fatigue can be horrendous.

Don't: rely too much on testing, these can be false negative as well as false positive so clinical correlation is essential.

Re: leaflets & posters

The good news is through campaigning by a colleague in Kerry, a warning sign has been posted at a Killarney children's playground to warn parents about Lyme disease. I think Kerry county council stepped in to make sure that happened so credit goes to them also..

A sign for national parks was designed by the HSE but I have heard they have no plans to print their posters or leaflets. We've been campaigning for more to be done at government level but I'd be happy to give the link to their web version at: http://www.hpsc.ie/hpsc/A-Z/Vectorborne/LymeDisease/Publications/File,4409,en.pdf

We also have an information leaflet available for download at: http://www.ticktalkireland.org/lymeleaflet.pdf I''m more than happy to mail leaflets to anyone interested to distribute in their area. :)

I hope this helps a little. Not all ticks will carry lyme disease of course but knowledge is key to minimise the risks, so hopefully we can go some ways to improve that.

If anyone does come across ticks we have some surveys to report where they were found. This is a rolling survey (results updated each year) so we can analyse any changes over time. More details available at: http://www.ticktalkireland.org/surveys.html

With all the best & keep safe!

Charity publishes new book to help with Lyme Disease prevention!

Jenny O’Dea, co-founder of Tick Talk Ireland has written a new children’s book called ‘The Adventures of Luna and Dips (tick)’ to warn parents, teachers and children about ticks, the carriers of Lyme Disease.

Follow Luna from her birth as a young larva, as she finds her way through the trials and tribulations of growing up. She learns many things from her friend Dips, but has to undertake her quest alone.

She yearns to be grown up and look just like Fantaz, a nymphal tick who gives her more advice, but will Luna grow up to be the tick she desires?

Copies are FREE to schools and members of the public, however supplies are limited and must be claimed fast to avoid disappointment!

*This story aims to encourage readers, young and old, to learn about the life cycle of ticks, how they feed and where they live.

*Awareness can lead to prevention of the diseases they may carry (such as Lyme disease).

*Some tips on protection are also included.

Did you know that the week starting 15th April was Tick Awareness Week? According to the Health Protection & Surveillance Centre ‘typically people return to outdoor activities around this time of year following the winter and due to longer daylight hours.’

It is generally known that early diagnosis is key to avoid complications such as extreme fatigue, joint pains and nerve damage, which is why we strive to raise awareness.

If anyone would like to claim their FREE copy of the book (teacher’s pack also available for schools) please send an email to us at info(AT)ticktalkireland.org (replace AT with @ when sending).

We’ll send on details on how to claim your free copy. Luna is suited to ages 8+.

Please note that all books will be free however some assistance with postage maybe required..

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Butcher Boy

Butcher Boys wife here......

My little boy got a tick when he was only a few months old. I rang the doctor and he told me to use some cotton wool soaked in alcohol squeeze it over the tick. The tick completely dislodges from the skin so

you don't risk leaving some under the skin surface. Works every time.....
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭KatyMac

I never realised tick bites were anything more than a nuisance. I have fields that after walking through them it is possible to see the ticks walking up my trouser legs. I have to do a major shake down before getting into the car. I now have the creeps after reading this thread!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭100200 shih

2 years ago , I had the pleasure of getting Lyme disease. Not a nice disease, lucky the locum doctor I saw knew what it was because of the bull eye rash get where the tick was blood sent of to the UK as it not tested for in Ireland , & on antibiotics for 4/5 weeks. Lucky that it was caught on time & no lasting effect.
    I live in Galway city , so not just area near farms you can pick it up.

2 years ago , I had the pleasure of getting Lyme disease. Not a nice disease, lucky the locum doctor I saw knew what it was because of the bull eye rash get where the tick was blood sent of to the UK as it not tested for in Ireland , & on antibiotics for 4/5 weeks. Lucky that it was caught on time & no lasting effect.
    I live in Galway city , so not just area near farms you can pick it up.

That's very reassuring that you had a lyme savvy doctor, as untreated (or under treated) Lyme can lead to horrible complications that can be tricky to resolve. Great stuff! If anyone is interested we have some surveys on our site:

Spotted any ticks in Ireland? Report those little critters at: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/VRFCD8T

Any vets can report ticks here at: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/L395BSB

Visited a nature park recently? Did they have information on Lyme disease in their visitor centre? http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/VPM2Q6J

Had a problem with Lyme Disease? How has it affected you? Let us know about your diagnosis & treatment at: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=qqrP_2bn_2bqPQSryRKHMTyJ1w_3d_3d

Thanks everyone. Be careful not to antagonise the ticks too much, they say that smothering, squeezing, burning, using spirits etc. on the ticks could cause it to regurgitate its blood meal which is where the bacteria is hiding - eugh! :o

Advertisement