Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pregnancy after miscarriage - pain & nerves

Options
  • 23-11-2012 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I found out the day before yesterday that I am pregnant.
    This is my 3rd pregnancy but it will (hopefully) be our first living child.
    I lost a little girl at birth in 2011 and then I miscarried at 8 weeks last Summer.
    Although the hospital said there would be no harm in trying straight after the miscarriage, I waited for two periods before doing so, just to be on the safe side. So now a clearblue test tells me I am 1-2 wks (so 3-4 if you go from first day of period). So far so good.

Here is my problem though - I have been experiencing small pains the last month or so - some of them quite sharp, though they do not last more than a few seconds. I am so terrified that my body is struggling. I had a D&C after the miscarriage in July and I experienced pain in the weeks after, which I put down to healing. That pain did subside in time, but now I have similar pains again and how do I know I am healed enough to carry?! My head is wrecked.
    Is there anyone who can share a positive success story regarding pregnancy after miscarriage (and inparticular after a D&C)?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭meggysmom

Congrats cunning on your BFP.I remember reading your story in the ttc forum.I wish you all the best in your pregnancy.I can't offer much only I had a d&c in febuary of this year along with a laproscopy,not relating to miscarriage.I got pregnant 4 cycles after the d&c and op.I had a lot of ovulation pain prior to surgary and had some issues resolved during it.It took a while for me to feel my body was healed after the surgary and really I did still have niggly pains even up to my positive cycle.My pregnancy has so far been normal,thank god and I am 21 weeks.Try to stay positive,if you are worried at all about anything,ask to be referred to the early pregnancy unit in your area!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭sillysocks

You poor thing... you've been through the wringer. I had a miscarriage a few years ago, and had to have a d&c. About 4 cycles after the d&c I was pregnant again, and everything went perfectly for us that time - we now have a happy, healthy 2 year old, and now I'm 14 weeks with our second. Hopefully that might give you a bit of hope.

I did have some slight cramps this time around (cant remember last time!), in the early weeks, I think they say that can be down to stretching, but definitely worth talking to your doctor or hospital if you're concerned. I think you can be scanned from about 6 weeks, but probably won't see a heartbeat until about 7/8 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

I have no advice CS but I also remember reading your story and wanted to send you my best wishes. I am 20 weeks preg now and have no history of D&C but also experienced the sharp pains you are describing so maybe they aren't related at all.

Hoping you have a happy & healthy 9 months and your much deserved baby will be with you and your partner :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

I also just want to wish you all the best CS. We were on the same thread in 2011 and I think of you all the time. I sincerely wish this all goes well for you xxx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

I'm the same - not much advise but just wanted to say congrats - this is your time - you've had such a hard time of it you truly deserve this happiness. I'd get a scan at 6 weeks - so in a couple of weeks - just for reassurance!
    I had 1 miscarriage and also lost one twin at 9 weeks, I'm 17 weeks now - every pregnancy I've had I've experienced severe cramping and pains from weeks 3 to about 7, my daughter who was the other twin is healthy and happy and this baby seems to be doing well also thankfully - cramps and pains can be very very normal just very frightening!

I wish you every health and happiness throughout this pregnancy - x

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Cunning, I also just want to offer you wishes of the bust of luck. I was also on the same thread.

Do you have good support from the early pregnancy unit?

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Cunning, I had those sharp pains in the first few weeks - before my positive I put it down to pms type twinges, then after it, for the first few weeks they were quite sharp - once in particular I lay on the cool bathroom floor because it felt so good and I was convinced it was all over but there was no bleeding, and the pregnancy went fine. I also had a vanishing twin but it was a month later after the pains that we lost that little one so the pains dont correspond to that.

I was told it was stretching, its surprising how sore they can be though.

The very best of luck with your pregnancy, you have been through so much I hope it all goes well for you.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Congrats Cunning :) so excited for you.. positive thoughts :) X

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

Thanks for the advice and kind words. I know it sounds stupid but I am a bit nervous to even write on this forum because I've been on here twice now, only to end with bad news and I am afraid I am just inviting the same luck into our lives again. I know that's not logical but that's the way my mind works at the minute!
    I am going to try to take it one day at a time, and not go so mad on the 'aul googling, as the internet can be my best friend and my worst enemy at the moment!

Advertisement