Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows xp web connecting issue

Options
  • 23-11-2012 8:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭

OK.Hope someone can help me here.
    Running xp home edition. A while back I lost all connectivity to the web via IE or Safari. I put the laptop away for a while and decided to dig it out as I got a windows fone and wanted to use it for zune etc.
    Now the prob that is arising is the
    a) when I click on IE (7 I believe) nothing happens. I can left click and get into the dropdown box but IE ail not open.Nothing happens.
    Its in the program list but nada happens.
    b)When I click on safari it comes up with the message 'Safari has encountered a prob and needs to close'. Was using safari as the browser.
    c) I can connect to my network and have the computer updates all up to date. It updated last night (had 60 - odd updates so some sort of connectivity is there)

I cant find the disks* so really dont wanna uninstall as I have no way of reinstalling.

Toughts,hints suggestions!!!!

*I am not even sure if it came with disks as it was my father in laws laptop. It is genuine and I was there when it was bought new.

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Download either the chrome or firefox installed on another computer, and transfer it to your xp laptop using a flash drive. It sounds like you have connectivity, but the applications aren't launching for some reason.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

do a check for malware in case you have a browser hijacker or somesuch

depending on the PC you may have an option to make backup disks or have a restore partition

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Thanks guys.Turns out it was prob a registry issue.

Advertisement