Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

amazon FREE Super Saver Delivery problem

Options
  • 22-11-2012 10:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭

it is a bit late to try to contact them, plus, i want to be sure that it isn't me being stupid (but it always worked for me that way...)

EDIT: it is me being stupid after all - somehow i was sure it is 20 not 25 quids

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I have gotten free delivery when it was slightly under £25 before. I think it might depend on the items. Obviously there is no free delivery service out there, so its included in the price, I reckon the smaller the items the more likely you are to get it free below £25.

Also there is the VAT rate to consider. We are charged Irish VAT rates so when you get to checkout your £24.50 basket might go over £25. I am not sure if this automatically always gives you the free delivery option.

This link can find you bargains to tip your basket over £25 too
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/cheap-amazon-loopholes#uncover

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭hairyairyfairy

Why would Amazon charge 23% Vat when they are a UK business?

When i purchase from a supplier through Amazon they charge 20%, or if i buy off any UK supplier I am normally charged the 20%,

how can Amazon themselves charge 23%, when they do not have a 23% vat rate in the UK?

totally confused

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

They are above the limit, many big companies do this. Only upside is that I am pretty sure the VAT does go to our government.
    http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vat/leaflets/distance-sales-eu.html
    Distance sales to the State

Where the value of distance sales to persons in this State by a supplier in another Member State exceeds or is likely to exceed €35,000 in a calendar year, that supplier must register for VAT in this State and must account for VAT at the appropriate Irish rates. If the threshold is not exceeded, the supplier may, nevertheless, opt to register and account for VAT in this State on his or her distance sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Green Diesel

When i purchase from a supplier through Amazon they charge 20%, or if i buy off any UK supplier I am normally charged the 20%,

how can Amazon themselves charge 23%, when they do not have a 23% vat rate in the UK?

totally confused

If the company exports above certain threshold to another country they have to charge the local VAT rate.

*edit - beaten to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

totally confused

If a company's sales to another country pass a certain threshold, then they are obliged to collect VAT at the rate of that country. They then pay it to the tax collection agency in that country. Amazon is registered for VAT in Ireland and collects VAT from consumers on behalf of Revenue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭hairyairyfairy

Wow, never knew that, thank you all for taking the time to explain it to me

no longer confused :D

Advertisement