Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Human Nutrition

Options
  • 22-11-2012 8:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

<Nervous first post> I am a leaving cert student and considering doing a human nutrition or dietetics course after I leave school, DIT/Trinity would be my first choice however, I didnt get the chance to study Chemistry for my LC (I done biology), so that a no-go. Human Nutrition in UCD is my next choice but again, I'm worried about not having chemisty. As the points are also quite a big ask for me I am going to make a UCAS application for human nutrition in UU Colraine.
    So to get to the point, I'm wondering if anyone currently doing any of these courses could give me some information regarding the chemistry and also the workload(how many days/hours)?
    Also, does anyone know if by doing a general science degree could i progress to nutrion? help would be greatly appreciated! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34 pppink

<Nervous first post> I am a leaving cert student and considering doing a human nutrition or dietetics course after I leave school, DIT/Trinity would be my first choice however, I didnt get the chance to study Chemistry for my LC (I done biology), so that a no-go. Human Nutrition in UCD is my next choice but again, I'm worried about not having chemisty. As the points are also quite a big ask for me I am going to make a UCAS application for human nutrition in UU Colraine.
    So to get to the point, I'm wondering if anyone currently doing any of these courses could give me some information regarding the chemistry and also the workload(how many days/hours)?
    Also, does anyone know if by doing a general science degree could i progress to nutrion? help would be greatly appreciated! :D
    :Di have applied for UU Human Nutrition aswell. there is still chemistry on this course though, particularly biochemistry, but apparently there is an introductory module in first semester to which would help those who havn't prior experience of studying chem (me included :eek:) bit worried about it though.....maths is my worst subject!
    as regards a general science degree, yes with one you would satisfy the entry requirements for say a masters in dietetics/nutrition as long as you studied substantial amounts of biochemistry and physiology as part of your degree.....it all depends on the modules/streams you pick really. Nutrition is easier to get into, dietetics is really competitive (much moreso)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Tailorheart

really? have you get any word back yet? I'm still waiting! (fingers crossed). The introductory module is exactly what I need! yeah my maths isnt too great either.. :/
    Well Im planning on applying for general science too and they would be my chosen streams so hopefully it will work out someway :D thanks for your help! I'm not so worried about chemistry now!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 pppink

really? have you get any word back yet? I'm still waiting! (fingers crossed). The introductory module is exactly what I need! yeah my maths isnt too great either.. :/
    Well Im planning on applying for general science too and they would be my chosen streams so hopefully it will work out someway :D thanks for your help! I'm not so worried about chemistry now!

yeah, no i havnt heard back yet, i only applied on the 15th!so i guess it will be a few weeks at least (i hope i didnt leave it too late:confused: )
    oh yeah cool, well i gather biochemistry is easier than chemistry (?) but i was going to apply to a course in uk last year through clearing- a biological science degree (similar to a general science degree). i cant even rem (!) --whether it was chem or biochem i would have had to study as part of it...but anyway i was talking to the tutor and he said prior experience of chemistry, and having a strong grasp of it, although not a prerequisite for the course was 'necessary' so you wouldnt fall behind.... just make sure you choose the right one!:)

its all so confusing :eek: ?

oh your welcome :)

Advertisement