Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

kilfinnane ns stand off

Options
  • 22-11-2012 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,668 ✭✭✭

a stand off between parents, gardai and suppliers this afternoon, as suppliers who have not been paid tried to remove desks and other equipment, during school hours, the suppliers have now been evicted from the school premises and are on the roadway, traffic distruption is causing delays, especially as the secondary school is across the road from the n.s.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

From The Limerick Leader website, all doors etc have been removed from the school by the subcontractors

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/local/stand-off-at-county-limerick-school-1-4515212

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭L.T.P.

Unfortunately many contractors are getting the run around these days and are not being paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Casperbhoy

Very sad to see stuff like this:(

Rather than sending money to charities in foreign countries, we should be looking a little closer to home

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Beaver1

they were right to remove them, everyone deserves to get paid for work and services.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Injunction put in place forbidding the contractors from removing materials from the school grounds.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭cofy

According to the radio the sub-contractors were not paid by the main contractors. Were the main contractors paid?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,668 ✭✭✭flutered

also the parents have blocked the exit in an effort to stop the subbies removing items from the school grounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Great to see those parents doing the politicans dirty work..:D
    When in fact they should be actually helping those contractors to remove items (which they have not been paid for) from the school.
    The same parents should then take their protest to the constituency offices of the 3 clowns they voted in at the last general election to represent them.
    Just wait for the empty rhetoric on 95FM tomorrow morning from Deputy Niall Collins on this matter. And remember that it was the actions/inactions of his party over the last decade or more that has led the country to this.

wwhay about their local senator james heffernan, he taught there at one stage i think,he was promoted to the seanead by our present deputy leader.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

With all due respects to young Heffernan, they might as well have Dustin the Turkey speaking for them than a senator. They have no power at all in these, or indeed any,matters like this. Seaned Eireann is merely a consolation prize for failing to get elected to the gravy train that is Dail Eireann.
    Sounds like a nice young lad with his head screwed on and would definately have got elected had it not been for the 'cute hoor' Collins/Dillon pact that lampooned his chances and completely duped an unsuspecting electorate in Limerick county.
    In effect, places like Kilfinane now have no voice at all as the 3 TDs are Neville who represents Rathkeale Area, Donovan represents NCW and Collins who represents,well, mainly himself.

Back to the original point, my opinion is that the parents should withdraw their children from the school until this mess is sorted out. at least this action would show up the present and past Governments for what they are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Casperbhoy

anyone know who the main contractors are?

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Shirleysrumbler

washman3 wrote: »
    With all due respects to young Heffernan, they might as well have Dustin the Turkey speaking for them than a senator. They have no power at all in these, or indeed any,matters like this. Seaned Eireann is merely a consolation prize for failing to get elected to the gravy train that is Dail Eireann.
    Sounds like a nice young lad with his head screwed on and would definately have got elected had it not been for the 'cute hoor' Collins/Dillon pact that lampooned his chances and completely duped an unsuspecting electorate in Limerick county.
    In effect, places like Kilfinane now have no voice at all as the 3 TDs are Neville who represents Rathkeale Area, Donovan represents NCW and Collins who represents,well, mainly himself.

Back to the original point, my opinion is that the parents should withdraw their children from the school until this mess is sorted out. at least this action would show up the present and past Governments for what they are.
    Wasn't principal's job to go looking for injunctions. they should have allowed contractors in, left building unusable and force Dept of Ed to organise alternative accomodation. Every major contract is now rife with subbies worrying about payment during final weeks with the likes of plumbers etc. holdng back on major fittings etc. til. they have a decent amount of money paid up. Public contracts need to have payments system so that consultants are last group paid unlike present situation where Architects ,engineers etc . get their money upfront and subbies last. If Professionals had the onus on them to ensure all subbies paid before their fee(it could be part of final 30% in case of schools , as well retention of 10%), this would mean that main contractor was forced to pay subbies.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭kagni

Am I missing soemthing here, why are people blaming the politicians? There are plenty of things they can be blamed for but I don't see what this particular incident has to do with them. The subbies haven't got paid by the main contractor - what has that got to do with politicians?
    If the subbies have a problem they should take it up with the main contractor or the courts, the school and department of education have paid for the work, the subbies have no business removing anything from the school.

more often than not the main contractor goes bust or similar, leaving the subbies fcuked.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭L.T.P.

Anyone know who the main contractor was? Dept. of Education confirmed he has been paid in full :(

• Registered Users Posts: 45 neverwasser

I don't have much sympathy for one of the suppliers, he quoted me for a job and I accepted it, the day before he was due out to my house he rang to say that he misquoted me and wanted an extra €500. I was desperate to get the house done so I accepted the higher price, he then did the job and there was a few snags, I rang him repeatedly to come out and he kept putting it off. He was paid in full for the job, every day I walk into my kitchen and see the small snags that weren't fixed.

usually the first to be hit is the guy or guy working for the subbies, they do not get any wages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

L.T.P. wrote: »
    Anyone know who the main contractor was? Dept. of Education confirmed he has been paid in full :(

Someone please correct me if I'm mistaken because I admit that I'm not fully informed on how exactly this works; but if the main contractor got paid then surely the subcontractors should be taking this up with the main contractors and not the school? Surely their actions can be defined as vandalism?

What gives them the right to target the party who has paid their debt in full? Do they expect the department of education to pay twice for this work? If so, then their actions are outrageous and bordering on criminal?

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Beaver1

but surely the sub contractors have in their terms when they done the job that all materials remain the property of the supplier until they are paid for in full, if this is the case then they are entitled to their goods back, remember they hadn't the contract with the dept of education but with the main contractor who in turn had a contract with the dept of education

Im also sure they have tried everything else with the main contractor and this is a last resort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

Beaver1 wrote: »
    but surely the sub contractors have in their terms when they done the job that all materials remain the property of the supplier until they are paid for in full, if this is the case then they are entitled to their goods back, remember they hadn't the contract with the dept of education but with the main contractor who in turn had a contract with the dept of education

Im also sure they have tried everything else with the main contractor and this is a last resort.
    I see where you're coming from.

But similarly, would the school itself (or the department of education) not have it in their terms that what they paid for is their property once they have paid for it? The school/department of education have 100% fulfilled their contractual obligations. I know the subcontractors have fulfilled their obligations too, but I just can't see how they can legally justify their actions against the school; they must have some sort of a legal right otherwise I doubt they'd be stupid enough to do this were it illegal.

• Advertisement
Advertisement