Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Wildcard searching supported on census & tithe applotments

• 22-11-2012 4:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭

First off, tithe applotments are digitised, and fully searchable/downloadable alongside the census, at
    http://titheapplotmentbooks.nationalarchives.ie/search/tab/home.jsp

Secondly, if you are looking for a name that has lots of different spellings, the wildcard search feature can be enormously helpful.

I was delighted to discover today that this is supported for both the census and the tithe applotment books.

It saved me looking up every known variation on the name [Hastings] I was researching, but much more importantly, it revealed a variation I'd never seen before.

Use a '?' to replace any character (like a blank in Scrabble), or use a '*' to match several characters.

As an example, rather than doing 8 different searches, for: Hastings, Hastin, Haston, Heston, Histon, Hester, Hestor
    I simply searched for the name: H?ST*, to get them all in one shot.

This saved me a pile of effort, but also revealed a new spelling "Hestings" which I would never have thought of searching for.

An additional benefit is that it may unearth some records which have been incorrectly transcribed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭pjproby

that technique also works on the irish genealogy site.

Advertisement