Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Badminton All-Ireland Inter-County

Options
  • 22-11-2012 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭

Every year there is an allireland intercounty championships for the old "Class 2,3&4" graded players. Under the new grading system these will be Grade B,C&D.
    These are great competitions but it has predominantly been Munster & Connaught teams that have entered which is a pity as it is after all an All-Ireland. Not sure how many players actually know about it.
    Recent talk has been that BI are to now include Grade E and F events too.
    All players should be interested in playing in these so ask your county associations about them. Its a great chance to meet and play against different players of your own level.
    Entries normally taken in January, i think.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭g0g

tipper1 wrote: »
    Every year there is an allireland intercounty championships for the old "Class 2,3&4" graded players. Under the new grading system these will be Grade B,C&D.
    These are great competitions but it has predominantly been Munster & Connaught teams that have entered which is a pity as it is after all an All-Ireland. Not sure how many players actually know about it.
    Recent talk has been that BI are to now include Grade E and F events too.
    All players should be interested in playing in these so ask your county associations about them. Its a great chance to meet and play against different players of your own level.
    Entries normally taken in January, i think.
    Ah I think there's reasonable entry levels in these competitions from Leinster areas other than Dublin, although Dublin have been getting more involved. Are you talking about Inter County where they take the best players from the county and put them together or the Inter League where they take the county winner of a competition like the county cup or league? I play in a Wicklow club and we'd have been involved in both of these events many times and also individual leinster championships. The problem with the all Ireland is that I thought only one team per province qualify?

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭tipper1

Yes, intercounty where a squad of players are selected from the various clubs within the county. In this comp it is possible that more than one county from the same province could qualify for the semi-finals as happened in the "Class 4" last year.
    The really interesting one could be the intercounty for Grades E & F. Some of these players may have never expected to have the opportunity to represent their respective counties.

Yes, intercounty where a squad of players are selected from the various clubs within the county. In this comp it is possible that more than one county from the same province could qualify for the semi-finals as happened in the "Class 4" last year.
    The really interesting one could be the intercounty for Grades E & F. Some of these players may have never expected to have the opportunity to represent their respective counties.
    Didn't realise that event went onto a national event. I thought it was the Interleagues where the province winners played each other. Know what you mean about the intercounties, some counties seem to always have two squads but for my county we usually struggle to make up one at each grade! We're getting more organised about it this year though so fingers crossed we'll get somewhere at last!

Re national gradings it'd be fantastic someday to get to a point where you can properly compare players on a nationwide basis!

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭tipper1

g0g wrote: »
    Didn't realise that event went onto a national event. I thought it was the Interleagues where the province winners played each other. Know what you mean about the intercounties, some counties seem to always have two squads but for my county we usually struggle to make up one at each grade! We're getting more organised about it this year though so fingers crossed we'll get somewhere at last!

Re national gradings it'd be fantastic someday to get to a point where you can properly compare players on a nationwide basis!

yes re; the national grading but they seem to be making progress but im sure it will take a year or two to sort out.
    it looks like its based a little like the Dublin grades whereby instead of division 1-10 it will be Grade A-H for the whole country with A being the top club players. The international players are in a separate premier grade. it would be great to possibly travel to opens and play against players of your own level.

yes there has been a national intercounty as far as i can think back and is great that players can represent your county at a national level likewise with your club through the interleagues.
    Gog what county are you with as you should make enquiries.

yes re; the national grading but they seem to be making progress but im sure it will take a year or two to sort out.
    it looks like its based a little like the Dublin grades whereby instead of division 1-10 it will be Grade A-H for the whole country with A being the top club players. The international players are in a separate premier grade. it would be great to possibly travel to opens and play against players of your own level.

yes there has been a national intercounty as far as i can think back and is great that players can represent your county at a national level likewise with your club through the interleagues.
    Gog what county are you with as you should make enquiries.

Wicklow. Ah yeah I've played it a few times. Did Inter League last year but we didn't get far. I play inter county most years but have never won it. Qualified for Leinster individuals a few times and won a couple of them. It's a pity the Dublin-based clubs aren't more active in all of those competitions as there are so many players in Dublin leagues. I've played a few of the open events but never ventured to those in Munster or Connacht.

• Advertisement
Advertisement