Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

97 Ford Fiesta wont start

Options
  • 22-11-2012 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hi all,
    Looking for some help with my 1997 1.3 petrol ford fiesta. It wont start.
    Battery is one month old so i doubt thats it. I put the key in and all the usual lights start up but when i turn the key the engine turns maybe 4 or 5 times but wont catch. After the 4 or 5 times theres just a clicking. Lights dont really dim when starting. I havnt tried jumping it yet but thats next on the list.

Im assuming its a starter motor or fuel pump problem.

Does anyone have any ideas or remedys?

Thanks!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭burke027

Could be your starter but it could also be your new battery. First check the voltage in the battery to see if there is enough to start the car, if not then try jump start the car and see is the altenator charging. If its still clicking and wont start then its the starter.the fuel pump wouldnt cause the starter to click

• Registered Users Posts: 27 drynne

I checked the battery and i was getting 12V. Tried to jump start it and push start it but no joy. Also changed the spark plugs and no change. Looks like a mechanic might be the solution!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

To check that the immobiliser is disarming, there should be a red LED somewhere around the clock. With key in the IGN and it turned on, that light should be on constant. If it is flashing fairly quickly then the PATS system cannot read the chip in the key and the immobiliser will stay on. I'm mentioning this because the transducer ring and its connections around the ignition barrel give problems and cause the no start symptom on those.

• Site Banned Posts: 58 ✭✭franorzxrh2

your batterys going dead on startup!!that clicking is a sign that theres no power in the battery! try a different set of jump leads and make sure u have a good connection or else a new battery!!theres definatly not enough power to turn the starter over!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

could even be a dirty or loose connection

• Advertisement
Advertisement