Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting MS FXS

Options
  • 22-11-2012 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭

I received a gift of FSX and installed it but never really used it.

Are there any good manuals/online resources on getting started?

I have several other flight sims such as IL2, DCS and have flown older sims so I understand how to fly.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭BeardySi

The lessons and/or missions are a good place to start... Once you have a stab at a few of them, find a plane you like, find some scenery you like and go flying!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭John_Mc

Installing Addons is where it really starts to get good. Check out the likes of Avsim and Simflight for an idea of what's out there

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭keroseneboy

Wait for Christmas to buy an add on aircraft because the PMDG 777 should be out then. It has amazing manuals which are already available. The 737-800NGX Precision Manuals(PMDG) is excellent too.

For improving visual effects, try Real Environment Extreme HD (REX).

As far as controllers are concerned, I prefer my Thrustmaster HOTAS stick to the Saitek Flight Yoke and pedals. FSX is pretty useless without a controller.

If you want an added luxury, try TrackIR for the ability to look around by moving your head.

A decent headset such as the wireless Logitech G930 is worth every penny.

I recently got a Buttkicker to increase realism. It does not meet my expectations.

Personally, I am waiting to ditch FSX for Lockheed Martin's Prepar3D once V2.0 comes out. It looks like the addons I have for FSX should work on it(with permission from the copyright holder, of course).

The advantage of Prepar3D over FSX is that when Lockheed Martin bought the licence to continue developing FSX from Microsoft, they put in solid work to make it work better in multicore environments and to make it more stable. Microsoft stopped the development effort sometime shortly after the release of FSX in 2006.

Advertisement