Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to disconnect this push connector?

Options
  • 22-11-2012 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭

I'm no electrical/electronic wizard, as will become apparent if this thread progresses very far :) But to cut a long story short, I want to unplug two of these three cables (photo attached as I don't know what the type of connector is called) and swap them round, as it'd be the easiest way to fix the thing I'm trying to fix.

Is there a knack/tool for separating this type of connector (you obviously just can't pull it straight apart due the arrangement of the 'teeth'), or is it just designed to stay plugged once connected?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I would imagine that you relieve the latching of the "teeth" with a pointy instrument and gently pull apart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

They are jst type connectors or similar by the look of it, which just pull out. Grip the socket with thumb, and simply pull the plug out.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭calum

Hmm, did try the 'just pull it' approach first, but was being pretty cautious as the socket side didn't seem terribly securely soldered. Will give it a slightly more forceful go later on...

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭calum

With a bit more persuasion, they did indeed pull straight out. Annoyingly swapping them didn't fix the problem after all (the plugs all appeared to be wired the same, but weren't), but that's a project for another day.

Advertisement