Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

50TH Celebration Ideas?

Options
  • 21-11-2012 11:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi Everyone,

So my Mom will be turning 50 in the new year and I want to organize or plan something that is special. The main objective is that what I give to her of plan for her is
    -memorable
    -meaningful
    -Cost friendly (things are tight)

In recent years she has been unwell so does not drink alcohol. She doesnt particularly like parties where everyone is plastered, making loud noise and being boisterous. So a party is out of the question. Although some kind of gathering would be nice.

I need help with ideas :) , Maybe give her a make over or do up her bedroom?

All suggestions greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,184 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Why not organise a get together for say a weekend lunch time and offer food and mostly non-alcoholic drinks - tea and coffee. Give a finish time of say 5pm so your mother does not get over tired and people do not settle into a long evening of drinking. Put the emphasis on a buffet so that people are circulating and helping themselves and limit the alcohol to beer. A buffet need not be very expensive or difficult.

As to what she would like, maybe she doesn't feel up to the upheaval of having her bedroom redecorated. What does she like? She might like to have her hair done and a new outfit/top for the party. She might appreciate a serious clear-out of 'stuff' from the house - when you are sick things tend to accumulate and it is very liberating for the place to be really cleared out and tidy. But maybe that is being done anyway. She might like a pampering day out, either spa type (could be expensive) or visiting somewhere and having a nice lunch.

A lot depends on what kind of things she likes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭jos28

As a Mother who has passed that particular milestone I would say that your Mam would relish you letting her know that she is loved and appreciated. It really won't matter what you do once you make her feel special. I would steer away from a party or gathering if you don't think she would be comfortable. I would organise a full day of surprises for her. Tell her to keep the day free and then plan things like;
    Calling in early in the morning with something nice for breakfast
    Have a hair appointment made and perhaps manicure and make up
    Off into town and buy her an outfit
    Arrange to meet one or two of her friends for lunch. Maybe have some old photos done into a photobook, there are some good offer online for those.
    After lunch, take in a matinee show/film or a visit to somewhere she really likes.
    Round off the day by bringing her to dinner or perhaps have a meal organised at home.
    Whatever you do, just make sure the day is all about her. She will be thrilled. Just try and think of things that she might do herself if she had spare time or money. Look for deals like groupons for hair/nails/tickets/lunch or dinner and it will make it less expensive.

Advertisement