Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weird Phone Poll referring to the Savita H case

Options
  • 21-11-2012 10:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hi All,

Just got a phone call on a landline from a blocked number and on answering it realized quickly that it was a recording.
    It was the usual bedlam here in the background so I wasn't able to hear very well and couldnt make very much out...
    The recorded caller claimed to be "Dr. SomethingOrOther from NUIG" and from what I could make out the call appeared to be canvasing in nature... It referred to the unfortunate case in Galway and one phrase I did manage to make out was...
    "... I can assure you that doctors in Ireland do have the power to terminate a pregnancy under certain conditions..." , which is why it seemed to me to be canvasing support in some form one way or another.
    The call ended in a Press 1,2, or 3 Poll and I could not fully make out the options but I do recall that one of them was along the lines of "If you think abortion should be legalised under all circumstances" press X. I didn't press any buttons, just hung up at that point.

The line the call came in on is one I use for work and I have never gotten around to taking it off the spam lists so I get regular assistance from those kind indian folk with fixing the "problem with my windows computer" (They never seem to manage to fix it for me though, possibly because I dont have a windows computer :D)

In any case, the question I have is did anyone else get this call and
    a) is it a scam ?
    b) is there a remote possibility that it is a genuine research initiative
    c) is it [conspiracy theory] the HSE trying to drum up support or gauge public opinion [/conspiracy theory]

personally I think it is in very bad taste to use this sad sad case in a scam..

Did anyone else get this call and if so can you provide more info on the content?

... Mods - I think this is of general interest but if you feel it should be in the very large thread discussion the Galway case then, please move?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Was talk earlier on Twitter of the anti-choice people using automated phone calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

The journal.ie has a piece on this. I'd say its youth defence or one of the other nutty anti choice brigade trying to create spurious poll data to claim people don't want women to have a choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Wompa1

From NUIG or University Hospital? no matter what side that's a pretty crappy way to get support. Minimal information provided before the poll questions I'm sure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭senorwipesalot

I got it earlier aswell.
    Not realising it was prerecorded I hung up with"Fcuk off ya bollix".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭Atomicjuicer

Weird.

By the way, if you think its clever to call your opponents anti choice dont you think theyll just call you anti life?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭Laneyh

Well whoever is behind it is anti-social , invading people's homes with that BS

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭V1

lazygal wrote: »
    The journal.ie has a piece on this. I'd say its youth defence or one of the other nutty anti choice brigade trying to create spurious poll data to claim people don't want women to have a choice.
    yep - that was it alright, slight difference from the report is that it was an anonymous number
    http://www.thejournal.ie/unsolicited-abortion-calls-684052-Nov2012/
    Wompa1 wrote: »
    From NUIG or University Hospital? no matter what side that's a pretty crappy way to get support. Minimal information provided before the poll questions I'm sure
    99% certain it mentioned NUIG not UCHG
    I got it earlier aswell.
    Not realising it was prerecorded I hung up with"Fcuk off ya bollix".
    Would have been my first response as well if the kids weren't around :D
    Laneyh wrote: »
    Well whoever is behind it is anti-social , invading people's homes with that BS
    totally agree - found it offensive :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭lanomist

Had the same call while looking at the Arsenal match tonight, realized it was a recording and hung up straight away.They will win no support by disturbing people at 9pm at night.Probably some fanatical anti choice sect.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 j.l

Details here on how (and why) to complain to the Data Protection Commissioner about the unwanted phonecalls.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Somebody in Galway or Ireland should contact the NUIG press office. I believe if the person is using the name of the University it should be approved by them for distribution. If there's a poll it could be part of somebodys research.

Still, Let's see the bastard\b!tch hang for this :D Too extreme?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

By the way, if you think its clever to call your opponents anti choice dont you think theyll just call you anti life?

There's a difference. They ARE anti-choice, insomuch as they don't want people to have that choice to have an abortion. Anti-life means you are all about the murder, regardless of the circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Chain_reaction

Weird.

Never heard of the term pro-abort...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

Got that call earlier. The number wasn't blocked though. It showed up as 014402552. Hung up as soon as I realised it was a recording. Google doesn't show anything for the number other than this site?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

I've just sent in a complaint to the Data Protection Commissioner about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Weird.

I don't really have any opponents I'm aware of, but if any of those Youth Defence fundamentalists wanted to call me anything, it wouldn't concern me.

Anti-choice is a factual term.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

We got that call this afternoon. I was totally confused as we were expecting a call from the HSE. When I realised it was a recording ( a very muffled one at that) I just hung up.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭V1

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Somebody in Galway or Ireland should contact the NUIG press office. I believe if the person is using the name of the University it should be approved by them for distribution. If there's a poll it could be part of somebodys research.

Still, Let's see the bastard\b!tch hang for this :D Too extreme?
    The recording above mentions "Professor Eamonn O'Dwyer" and quotes him as having 35 years experience as "Director of Obstetrics and Gynecology Galway" such a title does not exist, but googling the guy reveals a page on an extremist website quoting him in front of a Oireachtas committee on the subject in 2000.
    The name also pops up as being associated with NUIG and although I have to confess I am not familiar with the link between NUIG and UCHG, I believe there is one.

But the absolute cracker for me anyway was the LinkedIn profile that I found claiming to be him. 1 connection and lots of typos

Screenshot from 2012-11-21 22:28:58.png

:rolleyes: nobody does a LinkedIn profile that badly!

This type of tactic is commonly used by scam artists to add credibility (like those exiled princes who need to use your bank account to transfer their millions out of their war torn African country) coupled with the deliberate fudging of the reference to Galway in the recording.
    I definitely heard NUIG in the version of the call that I got and if I were king of NUIG I would seek this guy out and get him to put manners on these nutcases
    Weird.

I don't think its clever for extremists of any persuasion to invade my privacy and in particular start spouting fabricated rubbish at me. Its a cowardly tactic as if I met them on the street and they approached me like that, at least I'd have the opportunity to smack them !
    I do not negotiate with extremists!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Was talk earlier on Twitter of the anti-choice people using automated phone calls.

If you send the few euro to 'Happy Dude' they stop harassing you.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

V1 wrote: »
    The recording above mentions "Professor Eamonn O'Dwyer" and quotes him as having 35 years experience as "Director of Obstetrics and Gynecology Galway" such a title does not exist, but googling the guy reveals a page on an extremist website quoting him in front of a Oireachtas committee on the subject in 2000.
    The name also pops up as being associated with NUIG and although I have to confess I am not familiar with the link between NUIG and UCHG, I believe there is one.

But the absolute cracker for me anyway was the LinkedIn profile that I found claiming to be him. 1 connection and lots of typos

Screenshot from 2012-11-21 22:28:58.png

:rolleyes: nobody does a LinkedIn profile that badly!

This type of tactic is commonly used by scam artists to add credibility (like those exiled princes who need to use your bank account to transfer their millions out of their war torn African country) coupled with the deliberate fudging of the reference to Galway in the recording.
    I definitely heard NUIG in the version of the call that I got and if I were king of NUIG I would seek this guy out and get him to put manners on these nutcases

I don't think its clever for extremists of any persuasion to invade my privacy and in particular start spouting fabricated rubbish at me. Its a cowardly tactic as if I met them on the street and they approached me like that, at least I'd have the opportunity to smack them !

It's a real guy:

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/leading-gynaecologist-urges-use-of-international-experts-for-savita-inquiry-3296308.html

and he doesn't seem to agree with youth defense:
    Prof O'Dwyer said that from the information available to him, he believed that Ms Halappanavar should have been given a termination.

"If they had followed the ruling in the X Case they could have acted, if the mother's life was found to be at risk. I believe they should have acted," he told the Irish Independent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

If this is legit, how the hell are they getting the phone numbers?

Got that call earlier. The number wasn't blocked though. It showed up as 014402552. Hung up as soon as I realised it was a recording. Google doesn't show anything for the number other than this site?

01 440xxxx numbers are supplied by Blueface (maybe other VoIP providers too) so they must be using VoIP phones for this.

There's a difference. They ARE anti-choice, insomuch as they don't want people to have that choice to have an abortion. Anti-life means you are all about the murder, regardless of the circumstances.

Pro-lifers want less death and the circumstances that support less loss *are* relevant.

Unfortunately defining what is a risk to the mother's life can lead to legal loopholes that devalue life.

For example "yeah doc, totally suicidal - can I've another abortion please?"

The problem is who does the choosing and will it lead to a culture that increasingly devalues human life.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭LiamMc

V1 wrote: »

You are on the Internet starting conversations about your perceived breach of privacy. Your complaint isn't credible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

I believe strawmen lack reproductive organs, so this really shouldn't be a concern.

I believe strawmen lack reproductive organs, so this really shouldn't be a concern.

It's the anti-choice term that I was questioning really. Yeah anti-life doesn't make sense because pro choice people aren't advocating relentless murder but prolife people aren't advocating the end of all human choice either.

Call it a straw man if you like - I call it taking responsibility for the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

It's the anti-choice term that I was questioning really. Yeah anti-life doesn't make sense because pro choice people aren't advocating relentless murder but prolife people aren't advocating the end of all human choice either.

Call it a straw man if you like - I call it taking responsibility for the future.

It is and you're not.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Pro-lifers want less death and the circumstances that support less loss *are* relevant.

Unfortunately defining what is a risk to the mother's life can lead to legal loopholes that devalue life.

The problem is who does the choosing and will it lead to a culture that increasingly devalues human life.
    This isn't the thread for that conversation. Stick to the topic.

Karsini wrote: »
    01 440xxxx numbers are supplied by Blueface (maybe other VoIP providers too) so they must be using VoIP phones for this.

If this is the case, then it might be worthwhile getting in contact with Blueface themselves and telling them about this? Surely getting people's numbers is in breach of the Data Protection Act, especially if it's used to spread any form of agenda?

If it is Blueface, then whoever uses that number was in breach of their Terms of Conditions, which state:

"Customers agree not to use any Blueface provided services for auto-dialers, telemarketing or illegal purposes."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Death and Taxes

A 12 week old lump of cells is not human life.

Advertisement