Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

System Analysis

Options
  • 21-11-2012 7:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Im doing a system analysis project in college on an airline reservation company, i find it particulary difficult, includes standard Requirements List,ERD's & DFD's. Is there any external websites/experts that i could contact for help or data that i could use

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

Sorry OP I have no airline reservation specific links.
    I'm just truly amazed colleges are still teaching SDM & DFDs .. I haven't used them since the early 90s.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 benji2012

Really, our lecturer told us that what we are doing is current if for example we were in the workplace

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

Im in software engineering 6 years, never used them in the workplace!

SDM & DFD & ERD were used heavily on most projects I worked on in the late 80s to early 90s. But after the move to OO in the early 90s I never saw them again. UML offered a better fit with Event-Driven software that the then newish GUI environments. Plus UML offered a one stop shop from analysis through design and even coding. I've not been involved with big multinationals in years now, but I get the feeling that uml has fllen by the wayside now to be replaced with "agile" approaches.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

Regarding sample data, you could look in the library for Len Silverston's Data Model Resource Book volume 2. Chapter 8 travel.
    These books describe data models for industry that provide fairly comprehensive coverage of what is necessary for a substantial application.

e.g. One of the models in volume one is the basis for the Apache OfBiz project.

• Advertisement

Indeed, Len Silverston's book's are excellent for anybody task we Db design.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 benji2012

i got it done, 115 pages of a project it better be worth it. After christmas i have to build it now tho as part of the course. i better get a good job out of it lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

I completed a software development degree in 2006, it was a five year course. We never used SDM & DFD & ERD.

Advertisement