Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nevin pro debut for British lionhearts...

Options
  • 21-11-2012 6:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭

Just seen that John Joe is making his pro debut on Friday. Joe ward will also be fighting on the bill.

I see their representing the British lionhearts in the World Series of boxing competition. why are tgey representing britain and Is there any reason the Irish couldn't put a team together?

Surely we have better fighters than some of the other nations that are taking part?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭endswell

mods - any chance of having a wsb sticky / superthread. might inspire more interest in it, seems with lionhearts in, it might see a massive jump im popularity this neck of woods.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

good idea for the sticky thread

The reason for the lads representing the lionhearts team is proximity to home i'd imagine.

Takes serious funds to enter a team i'd imagine and the British team have good sponsorship deals in place. Its a great opportunity for the 2 lads.

Really looking forward to seeing how Ward does, have a feeling he will be a star.

Is there anywhere we can watch these fights on friday I wonder?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭sleapy235

It's not his pro debut, as even if you consider this 'pro boxing', Nevin has fought in the WSB before, and has done quite well for Paris United.
    Himself and Ward are fighting for a British team just like other Irish boxers are fighting for American, Italian, German, Kazakh and Mexican teams. They have probably gotten a better deal as they can live and train at home a lot of the time while fighting for the GB Lionhearts, they are not representing Britain just as much as Seamus Coleman is not playing for England when he plays for Everton.
    There is no Irish team because then financial backing for such a team is not available.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭paulgeog

Jayob10 wrote: »
    good idea for the sticky thread

Is there anywhere we can watch these fights on friday I wonder?

ESPN TV at 11.45 pm on Friday night. It's also streamed live on their youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/worldseriesboxingtv

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

paulgeog wrote: »
    ESPN at 11.45 pm on Friday night. It's streamed live on their youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/worldseriesboxingtv

you mean the ESPN channel on tv?

Or just via their website

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭paulgeog

Jayob10 wrote: »
    you mean the ESPN channel on tv?

Or just via their website

The TV channel yeah

Advertisement