Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If I accept is it for good??

Options
  • 21-11-2012 6:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

I recently received an offer for an Assurance position within E&Y. Basically I'm finished college and the job doesnt start until September 2013... Which is a long time...

If I accept the EY position...How bound am I?? Can I bail in the summer of next year or what sort of reprecussions are there for me not turning up to work in September after accepting the offer?? I dont see anything in the offer/contract about such an event which surely has come up before!!

Any help/advice is much appreciated?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭NEDDURC

Not sure I understand here - why did you apply for the job if you don't want it?

I'm sure you can get out of the offer once they haven't paid you anything upfront or for anything like a course.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

NEDDURC wrote: »
    Not sure I understand here - why did you apply for the job if you don't want it?

I'm sure you can get out of the offer once they haven't paid you anything upfront or for anything like a course.

I think he is hoping for a chance to find a job between now and then he likes but if he doesn't he will have EY to fall back on.

You can probably get out easily enough if they don't have to pay money in advance for your Chartered course but once they start paying for your stuff then they will fight so as to not let you go

That said I'd have to read the contract to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭scholar88

I have a background in Engineering and I'm hoping to get into Finance. I'd prefer a role in CIMA or actuary but seeing as the milkrounds had come I applied for E&Y.... I didnt expect to be as lucky as I was.

So, yes, basically I want it as a back up!The contract doesn't mention any of that stuff I looked over it there. I appreciate that I may sound lik a *#@* here, especially to those that werent lucky enough to be selected. Its a pretty decent back up lik and with my background there is no guarantee I'd get anywhere else. The job market is tight enough!

Would contacted them about the issue be the stupidest move ever?? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭thefa

scholar88 wrote: »
    If you persuaded me you wanted the job in my company, I offered you the job and you subsequently asked me how easily you could get out of the contract if you signed, I would revoke the offer. Good probability that even if you start the work, you would be keeping an eye out for something else and I wouldn't risk wasting the training and recruitment costs unless I was really short on options.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭notanocelot

People in audit at my firm (not E&Y) left during first year with minimum hassle. As Ciarán Boyle said above, they won't have paid any education costs for you before the autumn so getting out before you've even started should be fine.

A year is a long time. You wouldn't be the first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 UL2012

Signed a contract with EY last year and ended up going to a different firm. Had it as a back up like u. No hassle from them and I only told them in Feb.
    The HR above are sound enough wouldnt expect too much hassle. I know a lot that did the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Morte

scholar88 wrote: »
    Aside from the above, they wouldn't want somebody stupid enough to ask that working for them :pac:. God knows what you would end up saying to a client.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭littlemiss123

I pulled out of a Big 4 offer after signing an offer letter. They were unbelieveably friendly and helpful and told me to make sure I stayed in contact in the future and wished me all the best. All they did was ask me a few questions about my decision and whether I had taken a job with another firm and why, purely for their own 'market research' so to speak.

They are well used to people pulling out and taking other jobs. They recruit early so they get first pick but realistically a lot can change within the year between accepting a job offer and starting (as happened with me) so they are prepared for this.

I would accept as it gives you peace of mind that you will always have it to fall back on. If you do pull out EY will recruit someone else, Big 4 openings were definitely still being advertised as late as May, if not later, so someone else will get a chance if you pull out, the position is not dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭blackwhite

So long as they haven't spend any money on you then they won't do anything to stop you.

If they had shelled out exam/college expenses for you then you could expect to be asked to pay them back, but this doesn't seem to be an issue for you.

When I was in PwC we had instances deciding on the first day of induction training that becoming a Big-4 auditor wasn't what they wanted, and walking away.
    Legally, it's the same as any other job, you are entitled to give notice and leave if you wish.

Advertisement