Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tux to rent or buy

Options
  • 21-11-2012 4:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,697 ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks
    Not sure if tis is the right forum but as its the Gentlemans club i can't see why not ,
    Im going to a wedding soon that is black tie and do not own a Tux
    So i was wondering do you guys think its better to buy one or go to somewhere like blacktie and rent one,
    Does anyone know if the suits for rent in these kind of places are of good standard or where could i get a good deal on a nice neat Tux ,
    Also just to see do guy prefer to rent or buy these days .

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,913 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Black Tie is grand for renting or buying tbh, think about whether your gonna be needing a tux again in the near future though because then its ALOT cheaper to buy, they generally pay for themselves after the 3rd or 4th time out if you buy one compared to how much you would spend on renting a tux 4 times

• Administrators Posts: 53,674 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Gandhi

A few other points to consider:

Dry-cleaning an entire tux can be expensive, so factor that into the cost of ownership.

Remember that if you are a groomsman in a wedding, you would need a tux to match the groom and other groomsmen, so your own tux won't save you anything in those cases.

(At least here in the US) tux rental shops will deliver to hotels (for free any time I have done it), so if you are traveling as a non-groomsman for a black tie wedding it saves you the hassle of packing the tux for the trip there and back. You phone in your measurements and the tux is waiting for you at hotel reception when you check in, and you drop it back to the reception desk the morning after.

Not saying it may not be worth your while to buy one if you go to a lot of tux-type events, but it is not as simple as dividing sale price by rental price.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

After the third or fourth wear they work out cheaper than renting. If you're in college they're definitely worth buying for all the balls. Even still my father has had his for thirty years and might wear it once every year or so. He buys a new shirt every ten years.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,171 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You can often pick up a good quality tux in charity shops. Really.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,355 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Black tie wedding? Someone has delusions of grandeur. I presume you will reduce the value of the present by an amount similar to what you are being forced to pay on the tux?;)

Agree with the other posters who said buy. After 3 or 4 times you're in the money. A rental cost upwards of €70 these days:eek:
    Or borrow one if possible

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭MrMischief

Marks and Sparks do a Tux for approx €60/€70...well they did when a gang of us bought them a few years back for a charity ball. I've used it a few times since aswell and the brother has borrowed it. I'd stay away from Blacktie!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭johnk123

Definitely worth buying. I'm in college and it's a great investment, but like another poster said, my dad also has his one for about 15 years now and even if he only wears it once/twice a year, it's still a good investment.

MandS do a good value tux's, (machine washable version too for college goers!!!) they have a few price points.. was in a few month back witha friends when he was buying his. Once you have the tux, you're set for life!

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭SmilingLurker

Most clothes outlets do a good cheap tux. Charity shops also have lots of them. I don't use mine often, but it was well worth buying.

• Administrators Posts: 53,674 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
Advertisement