Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Altering Mens Clothes

Options
  • 21-11-2012 3:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

I can't seem to find any inof (YouTube etc) on altering men's clothes.
    ie buy a cheap tshirt or shirt in Lidl and make it into something better fitting and stylish.

Any one shed any light on this.

Thanks in advance,

b

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭oldscoil

Another query falls by the waste side …and still no men’s fashion forum.

Paaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Scuba Ste

Are these what you have in mind?

Do you have a sewing machine? Hand sewing is slow.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Maybe no one had any answers or recommendations for you??

Anyway, "upcycling" is a term used when talking about editing clothes to make them better. You might have some luck with that, although Googling just leads me to loads of tutorials for that man's shirt made into a dress thing.

Can you sew? It's fairly difficult to re-shape an item, and it's not something you could do by hand, IMO, you'd need a sewing machine for accuracy.

You could change buttons on coats/jackets/cardigans for a new look.

Is there anything else you had in mind that you'd like to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

if I were you I'd look into a sewing course- loads of places do them, like haberdashery shops, etc. Once you pick up the basics they'll teach you about alterations, etc you can experiment. Don't just limit yourself to looking at tips for mens clothes, look at some of the womens tutorials too, they'll have stuff like trouser leg hemming and tapering, putting darts into shirts to make them fitted etc. Ok, so you don't have boobs to contend with but the principals re all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭oldscoil

Thanks Folks.

Thats great info :)

Yeah I was looking into a few sewing / alteration course, even teh cheaper one ain't cheap :O

Thanks again,
    b

• Advertisement
Advertisement