Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggestion

Options
  • 21-11-2012 12:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭

can I suggest that threads such as the ones on 071 class and 201 class should be all gathered up together and put in a thread called "observations" or similar and stickied at the top of the page.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

corktina wrote: »
    can I suggest that threads such as the ones on 071 class and 201 class should be all gathered up together and put in a thread called "observations" or similar and stickied at the top of the page.

I started the 201 thread as an attempt to categorise various items of interest, rather than have everything heaped into "one size fits all" type of thread, which you appear to be suggesting. Leave the locomotive threads the way they are and hopefully someone will kick off some multiple unit threads also.

If it's not broken why fix it ? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

well what happens if you spot a 201 parked next to a 071 on a ballast train with a dart being hauled to Inchicore passing an 29xxx ....etc.....wouldn't it be a good idea to have all the observations together\?

well what happens if you spot a 201 parked next to a 071 on a ballast train with a dart being hauled to Inchicore passing an 29xxx ....etc.....wouldn't it be a good idea to have all the observations together\?

Easy ! Same post to all 4 threads, anyway what's your sudden interest in spotting ?

sudden? I was spotting before you were born I suspect. That I don't take numbers doesn't mean I am not interested to hear unusual observations of occurences

• Registered Users Posts: 24,485 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

those threads are tedious in the extreme IMO, there's no need to be posting that 20X went from A to B on 11/11/12. you end up reading through pages of rubbish for the odd interesting post.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 42 DannyGrey

those threads are tedious in the extreme IMO, there's no need to be posting that 20X went from A to B on 11/11/12. you end up reading through pages of rubbish for the odd interesting post.

SIMPLE DONT READ THEM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 DannyGrey

sudden? I was spotting before you were born I suspect. That I don't take numbers doesn't mean I am not interested to hear unusual observations of occurences

funny that it was not long ago you had a pop at persons that spot

people in glass houses ?????????????????:eek:

And so you would like all observations jumbled up in one big thread - sorry just can't see any sense in that at all. Feel free to do it with your own threads though - not one of mine !

• Registered Users Posts: 24,485 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

DannyGrey wrote: »
    SIMPLE DONT READ THEM

oh my gosh really, I never even though of that :rolleyes:

There are a few posters here (including me to some extent), and spotting clearly is their end of the hobby. It may be boring to some but spotting is an integral and historic part of railway enthusiasm. Live and let live would be my suggestion. Spotters 'per se' should feel right at home in T&RS, otherwise as an enthusiast forum , it will turn out to be a closed shop of partisan entrenched attitudes.

• Advertisement

i'm at a loss to understand why anyone should think my suggestion is somehow anti-spotter. I'm suggesting it gets stickied ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Rud

Leave the threads be.They are not doing any harm plus they seem to be the only threads that don't end up in arguing,name calling and people trying to get in digs at each other

well, will we leave them alone and just start an observations thread and see who wins?

i'm at a loss to understand why anyone should think my suggestion is somehow anti-spotter. I'm suggesting it gets stickied ffs

Well let's clear that up then.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=80049268&postcount=217
    since you ask, im not a spotter at all, although i used to be when i was a kid. what I am is a railfan, or an enthusiast if you like, it's just that nowadays I share the General Publics faint amusment at spotters collecting numbers and wanting obscure lines re-opened for no better reason than they would like to watch the trains go by
    .For me , rail has to make sense either in social or economic terms (or both preferably.), I'm interested in it's future and it's development and I'm sorely afraid that it is endangered in Ireland because of inept management and political interferance.
    Sitting behind a keyboard discussing what locos you've seen and posting pics is all very well but at the end of the day, when €106 million is wasted on the WCR and other pie in the sky ideas are pursued on here,someone (and there are a few of us thankfully) needs to stand up and cry "enough"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Christ, not another handbags at dawn.

still mystified why you should think a suggestion to (what I see as) improve the feedback on observations is anti-spotter.

still mystified why you should think a suggestion to (what I see as) improve the feedback on observations is anti-spotter.

If I thought that was the case, I'd be glad to extend you the benefit of the doubt, however your attitude to trainspotters, as outlined above, leads me to form the opposite opinion. IMO your interest lies in controlling and corraling observational threads rather than improving them.

Incidentally the 201 thread is a general thread, in which I as OP welcome observations. If you have no interest in it other than shifting it about then please shuffle off and leave it alone. Your not a mod yet !!!

nor will i ever be!

your opinion is pants

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭sligotrain

I would suggest we keep the threads as they are. It is far more convienient to check on the whereabouts of the 201 and 071 classes in seperate threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,101 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Yep totally agree,its great having both an 071 and 201 thread which are good and active.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Can we have a 601 thread too? :D

Can we have a 601 thread too? :D

there already is one if you want to use it on the forum "G601-todays observations"

For some reason it's a bit quiet, but the latest info is it is stabled in an old Anderson Shelter in Carrick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

G601. Cunningly disguised as a garden shed!

actaullay, this illustrates WHY I made my suggestion. Would it not be a good idea to have a section for observations of a general nature? ie I passed through Carrick toiday in 2612, G601 was out of its air raid shelter with the engine running, 212 was on the timber train at Waterford and 2701 was the unit for the return run....that sort of thing,

(NOT real observations obviously!)

Advertisement