Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should prisoners with a life sentence ever be released?

Options
  • 21-11-2012 10:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭

Judges to rule on 'whole life tariff' in the UK:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20410885

:mad::mad::mad:

The idea of them arguing this on a human rights basis is laughable. Surely you lose your human rights when you murder someone. I hope the whole life tariff is upheld, and moreover that something similar is implemented in Ireland; sadly I doubt that will ever be the case.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

NO

*End Thread*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 GeorgeClooney

Shelga wrote: »

The idea of them arguing this on a human rights basis is laughable. Surely you lose your human rights when you murder someone. I hope the whole life tariff is upheld, and moreover that something similar is implemented in Ireland; sadly I doubt that will ever be the case.

Thoughts?

People who've been sentenced to life should be executed by the age of 65. No point continuing to overpopulate the planet and serious criminals should be the first to go.

I'm only in favour of the death penalty if they served at least a decade in prison. Executing prisoners straight away is the easy way out for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

Depends on the motivation really.

If a serial killer/ paedo/ whatever murders innocent people/ children, of course. If someone dies after you give him a hiding for stealing money from you, attacking your friends/ family or vandalising your property, a whole life tariff would be a bit harsh.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,131 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Yes. At the end of their lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

They should stop calling it life when they let them out after 10 or 12 years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

No. Life should mean life

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

Send them to Siberia,

Joe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Death and Taxes

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    They should stop calling it life when they let them out after 10 or 12 years
    Average life sentence in Ireland is over 17 years, many have served in excess of 30 years.
    Even if released it is on licence and they can be brought back to prison if they break the conditions of their release.
    Most European countries do not impose life sentences.
    But sure dont let the facts get in the way of your nonsense spouting.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Thoughts?

What do you mean surely? That is not the case, as it stand life equals aset amount of time in prison, AFAIK there is usually a minimum amount of years to be done set by the trail judge. There is of course remission to be factored in.

We are responsibile for those we lock up, we are the ones who are saying we know better than this criminal behaviour, we cannot turn around and act with the same regard for human rights as a criminal does.

You said you doubt it will ever happen over here; I say thank god something like this will not happen over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭crusher000

The people the kill/rape don't get a second chance to live the life they should have so either should they.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

Make castration/spading a sentencable punishment alongside their prison sentence. It will surely make someone think twice before doing something illegal and will invariably make criminals alot more docile and complacent once their balls have been removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Odysseus wrote: »
    What do you mean surely? That is not the case, as it stand life equals aset amount of time in prison, AFAIK there is usually a minimum amount of years to be done set by the trail judge. There is of course remission to be factored in.

We are responsibile for those we lock up, we are the ones who are saying we know better than this criminal behaviour, we cannot turn around and act with the same regard for human rights as a criminal does.

You said you doubt it will ever happen over here; I say thank god something like this will not happen over here.

The following is not mine but a quote I took from another thread (on scumbags as it happens) - thought it was quite fitting:
    That's the problem. These people don't have any dignity, nor remorse, nor respect, nor breeding, nor education. But they don't care. People are always so shocked and horrified when they hear these stories but it shouldn't shock us. The people who beat up others for enjoyment aren't like me and you and there's very little chance they'll ever see things from our point of view. Their world is totally different to ours (mostly because of a ****ty upbringing, and that's unfortunate).

Our civilized (perhaps naive) way of dealing with the scum in Dublin doesn't work. We can all agree on that. I think we need to divide crime into two categories, violent and non-violent. We should come down very very hard on violent criminals - proper, unpleasant prisons, forced labour, the works. And before any human-rights activists jump on this I'd just like to say that if you don't act like a human we shouldn't treat you like one. Relishing violence against fellow human beings is unnatural and people like that should not be living side-by-side with us.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

"Should prisoners with a life sentence ever be released?"

Maybe in some cases. It's worth remembering that the sentence was not handed down by God or some omnipotent being in the first place. Just a man. Or woman.

Of course, on later reflection, it might be justifiable to release them early or reduce their sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    The following is not mine but a quote I took from another thread (on scumbags as it happens) - thought it was quite fitting:

I'm not too sure what your point is, you just paste that qoute. I spend a lot of time with various types of criminals, yeah in some way that may apply to some people, but it does reflect what I see. People who engage in illegal behaviour are just as individual as you or me, generalisations don't really capture much about me, and I don't think that one captures much about criminals.

That is just trying to describe a complex problem with a very simplistic few lines. Before any one pipes up, I am all for people being held responsible for their acts, there aren't many people I have seen in a prison who shouldn't have been there. However, our system is not only about punishment; we also aim for the much more difficult task of rehabilitation.

Something we are not very good at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Average life sentence in Ireland is over 17 years, many have served in excess of 30 years.
    Even if released it is on licence and they can be brought back to prison if they break the conditions of their release.

What's nonsense about it? He was off the mark by 5 years or so? Dress it up anyway you like, the point still stands, why call it life imprisonment?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Shelga

keith16 wrote: »
    What's nonsense about it? He was off the mark by 5 years or so? Dress it up anyway you like, the point still stands, why call it life imprisonment?

Exactly. 17 years for murdering someone is not enough. If you kill them at 20 you'll be out by 40, allowing time for the trial etc- the victim is gone forever.

Also, the whole-life tariff is reserved for the absolute worst sort of criminal- I believe there are only ~40 in total in the entire country.

And you're not taking away their human rights by sentencing them to stay in prison until they die- if that was the case, shure why not do away with prisons altogether!

Btw I'm a girl :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

I think there's always an exception, but generally, no they shouldn't be allowed out again. It's not a sentence lightly handed out, people get that sentence because they are a threat to society. The man in the photo in the article, for example, killed his former partner, and their two year old daughter. And he's appealing his sentence. I think that's laughable.

I always think as well, in relation to the argument that prison should rehabilitate people so that they can be released as functioning members of society - for the likes of these people, who clearly have a different way of looking at the world anyway if they're capable of committing the kind of acts that land you a life sentence, what if they come out in a worse mental state?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Naid23

Life should mean Life!...

In America it does so why shouldnt it apply to here aswel.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

I think it depends entirely on the nature of the crime and whether someone can be/has been rehabilitated.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Sometimes. Sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭upstairs for coffee

It depends on what type of institute they are imprisoned in.

If they are incarcerated in say Norway where the emphasis is on rehabilitation then yes so long as they meet criteria such as psychological tests etc and cases like Brevik can stay in jail.

In Ireland prisoners are incarcerated with the emphasis on punishment rather than rehabilitation then no. You'd just be sending the same criminal out onto the streets but he/she would be 20 years older.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Naid23 wrote: »

In America it does so why shouldnt it apply to here aswel.

Ah yes 'Merica', the shining example of a perfect criminal justice system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

17 years...and out in 2 if they behave good :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Naid23 wrote: »

No offence intended, but this always strikes me as a very childish or naive way of looking at it.

What you're essentially arguing is semantics, or the words we use, rather than the issue itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Facts or the lack thereof in no way impact or impede my post as it is a statement of opinion.
    But sure don't let simple English comprehension get in the way of your mini-diatribe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

Make castration/spading a sentencable punishment alongside their prison sentence. It will surely make someone think twice before doing something illegal and will invariably make criminals alot more docile and complacent once their balls have been removed.

I'd certainly obey the law if I knew I'd be beaten with a spade for breaking it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

depends, serial killers yes or repeat rapists who refuse to take part in rehabilitation would be could cases for being locked up indefinately imo

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 422 ✭✭BensonSlide

OneArt wrote: »
    I'd certainly obey the law if I knew I'd be beaten with a spade for breaking it.

Thankfully, we live in a society where we don't castrate people or beat them with shovels as part of our justice system.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Do away with "Life" sentencing, just have 6 months, 3 years, 15 years, 40 years etc if the person dies of old age while serving their sentence, so be it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Thoughts?

So you mean that anyone who'd ever illegally taken a human life can be tortured. They can be sentanced to 50 years of having 20 cigarettes a day being put out on their skin whilst having their genitials electrocuted. The women can be raped by animals? And all of this can be televised?

Cos that's what you're saying if you say they have no human rights.

If you disagree with that and think that they have some rights but not others, then it is arguable.

Advertisement