Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 8 high memory usage

Options
  • 20-11-2012 10:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭

Hi folks, I'm hoping someone can help me out. I bought a new laptop last week. It's well specced, but at the moment it runs like a dog. I'm going to uninstall a few things now, just to make sure there is nothing conflicting, but it has never run well. It uses at least 75% physical memory, and that's with no programs open. I've checked task manager/resource manager but there doesn't seem to be anything obvious taking up loads of the memory...

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,925 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

My system hovers at 60% (of 4GB) on Windows 7 here on the desktop. I never noticed any high memory usage on my tablet either, but the tablet got a clean install of windows 8 pro NFR - it doesnt contain OEMware

Grant you laptops ship with plenty of bloatware, you could probably do away with the majority of it. None of it is mandatory for running the system, some will provide support for the perks like a fingerprint reader etc. but if you don't need anything fancy delete all the branded software, and when you need driver updates just head to the MFR support page no need to have an upgrade advisor tool running 24/7

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭natnifnolnacs

Well I'm still not sure what was wrong with it, but a factory reinstall of windows + bloatware seems to have done the trick. It's now behaving perfectly which is great :)

Advertisement