Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maintenance Grant & BTEA at the same time?

Options
  • 20-11-2012 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

Hey Boardies

I'm getting the BTEA (back to education allowance) at the moment.
    My SUSI Maintenance Grant has just come through (100% non-adjacent).
    The BTEA works out at about €6000 for the 9 months, while the grant works out at about €3000.
    I haven't accepted the grant yet.

My question is:
    1. Can I receive both the BTEA & Grant?
    2. If not, which one takes preference?
    I'm presume that I should contact SUSI, tell them I'm getting BTEA & they'll pay my fee's & scrap my grant.

Am I correct in thinking this?

I was talking to a lady in SW (BTEA department), she wasn't sure as it was her first day but she said if I'm getting the Grant my BTEA would be scrapped. She also wasn't sure if I could get both the BTEA & Grant so I wouldn't take her words as being to reliable. She was confused, it was her first day.

Any feedback would be great!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

You can only get one of them.
    It is up to you which one takes preference, but you must inform the other party, they won't do it for you. I'd stick with BTEA as it is more reliable than SUSI when it comes to payments.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭loca1

You can get both if in college prior to 2009 the new rule only came into affect then so
    If you are now in 4th year in an add on course you get both however if you are in first year it is one or the other

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

Maldesu wrote: »
    You can only get one of them.
    It is up to you which one takes preference, but you must inform the other party, they won't do it for you. I'd stick with BTEA as it is more reliable than SUSI when it comes to payments.
    You must inform the other party?where did you hear this?i dont see t writen on any respective sites.is it not up to susi to determine if your eligible or not?

rolo454 wrote: »
    Hey Boardies

I'm getting the BTEA (back to education allowance) at the moment.
    My SUSI Maintenance Grant has just come through (100% non-adjacent).
    The BTEA works out at about €6000 for the 9 months, while the grant works out at about €3000.
    I haven't accepted the grant yet.

My question is:
    1. Can I receive both the BTEA & Grant?
    2. If not, which one takes preference?
    I'm presume that I should contact SUSI, tell them I'm getting BTEA & they'll pay my fee's & scrap my grant.

Am I correct in thinking this?

I was talking to a lady in SW (BTEA department), she wasn't sure as it was her first day but she said if I'm getting the Grant my BTEA would be scrapped. She also wasn't sure if I could get both the BTEA & Grant so I wouldn't take her words as being to reliable. She was confused, it was her first day.

Any feedback would be great!

Any change in ur situation?i am in exact same boat

You must inform the other party?where did you hear this?i dont see t writen on any respective sites.is it not up to susi to determine if your eligible or not?

Maybe I should rephrase that to 'make sure you inform both of your selection'. SUSI aren't reliable and if you receive both payments, you could/probably be liable to pay one of them back at a later time. SUSI can offer you the maintenance grant even if you are on BTEA and you can choose.

• Advertisement

Maybe I should rephrase that to 'make sure you inform both of your selection'. SUSI aren't reliable and if you receive both payments, you could/probably be liable to pay one of them back at a later time. SUSI can offer you the maintenance grant even if you are on BTEA and you can choose.
    Ok thanks.i am in same boat and i read on student finance site that you apply normally and susi will dictate your eligibility.something so important i didnt thk they wud expect people to be honest and inform them.i received 1 payment so far lastwk

Well, whatever payment you take, just don't take both. SW will look for it back and who knows what SUSI will do when they get themselves sorted out. I'd got with BTEA since SW get it in on time.

Well, whatever payment you take, just don't take both. SW will look for it back and who knows what SUSI will do when they get themselves sorted out. I'd got with BTEA since SW get it in on time.
    Ok thx man.are you basing this on your own experiences?

P.s i thought whole point of stating on susi form that i had applied for btea was to allow them to check if i jad received it or not

Ok thx man.are you basing this on your own experiences?

No, but the rules (acc to Citizensinformation) is that you are only entitled to one, though I don't think it states who is responsible for making sure.
    P.s i thought whole point of stating on susi form that i had applied for btea was to allow them to check if i jad received it or not

That may have been the point, but it's not the reality. It's you who would take the responsibility the end, or rather the heat.

• Advertisement

No, but the rules (acc to Citizensinformation) is that you are only entitled to one, though I don't think it states who is responsible for making sure.

That may have been the point, but it's not the reality. It's you who would take the responsibility the end, or rather the heat.
    Ok,worst case scenario they ask for maintenance back.its their blunder at the end of the day

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭rolo454

You can't get both.

BTEA is 188 euro per week.
    The highest grant is approx 185.
    So you take the BTEA

Ring SUSI & tell them your getting BTEA.
    They will send you a letter stating that you are not getting a grant but they are paying your fees.

Show this to your college
    They will mark you down as fees paid for and as a full time registered student
    Get them to write you a letter stating this (that you are a full time registered student)
    Send this letter to the BTEA department
    You will then get your 300 euro book allowance & your payments will continue (your payments get cut off eventually without this letter)

Also you can get the dole during the summer with BTEA; with the grant you don't (as far as I know)

I talked to both the BTEA people & the SUSI people.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 kaflin

When you send back the Final Course Acceptance form it'll ask if you are receiving BTEA, if you think Yes on that, then they'll disqualify you from getting a Maintenance grant.

Advertisement