Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enteric coated aspirin

Options
  • 20-11-2012 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭

Hey just wondering if anybody knows where I could get enteric coated aspirin in the Republic Of Ireland?.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Seanachai wrote: »
    Hey just wondering if anybody knows where I could get enteric coated aspirin in the Republic Of Ireland?.

Prescription aren't they? Any pharmacy should have them, they're common enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭Seanachai

Was talking to a friend and apparently they are prescription only in ROI. I'm not paying a GP €60 just to get some aspirin. I'll have to order them online. The regular ones are irritating my stomach too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

What strength?

The enteric coated ones are usually 75mg. What are you taking them for do you mind me asking?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭Seanachai

I take them for headaches that I get from time to time. Paracetamol doesn't agree with me as evident by the black rings in under my eyes after I take it. I'm going to try Boots later on to see if they're on the shelf.

• Advertisement

Go talk to your pharmacist/doctor for other analgesics. Ibuprofen etc.

They definitely won't be on the shelves as they're usually prescribed for people who are at risk of cardiac problems/stroke and don't come in doses high enough (75mg vs 300/500mg) doses to act as an analgesic.

You can get Nu-seals 300mgs which is enteric coated like the 75mg. It's not available OTC though even though there are other 300mg formulations available. I can't think of any enteric coated OTC products unless boots have an own brand or something like you said but I doubt it.

The reason there are none is that enteric coating isn't done on products that are required for the short-term relief of pain because enteric coating delays the release.

I've never seen them in 300mg doses. The more you know then.

BX 19 wrote: »
    I've never seen them in 300mg doses. The more you know then.

They're on prescription and used mainly for cardiovascular indications, just as you suggested for the 75mg. I edited my post above with my stab at the reason for that.

They're on prescription and used mainly for cardiovascular indications, just as you suggested for the 75mg. I edited my post above with my stab at the reason for that.

Your right on the time delay, as an EMT we consider the aspirin as not taken if someone has taken an enteric coated one without chewing it it for ACS/MI etc. We'd then go ahead with a chewable/soluble 300mg one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

Only in every single pharmacy in the country!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

Was talking to a friend and apparently they are prescription only in ROI. I'm not paying a GP €60 just to get some aspirin. I'll have to order them online. The regular ones are irritating my stomach too much.

A. Your friend is right.
    B. Online retailing of medicines, whether prescription or not, is illegal in ROI.
    C. If the regular ones irritate your stomach, then you need to avoid aspirin altogether. The adverse effects of aspirin on the stomach are systemic, not local. Therefore, the enteric coating (which is designed to make the tablet pass intact through the stomach and dissolve in the intestine) doesn't prevent the irritation of the stomach. There are other anti-inflammatory painkillers available that have less adverse effects on the stomach. Also, you need to be checked out in case you may already may have an ulcer.

You need to talk to your doctor. Whether it's €60 or not.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement