Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIP: Typewriter!

Options
  • 20-11-2012 2:45pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20406546
    A typewriter, which its makers say is the last to be built in the UK, has been produced at a north Wales factory.
    Manufacturer Brother, which says it has made 5.9 million typewriters since its factory in Wrexham opened in 1985, has donated the last machine to London's Science Museum.
    The museum said the piece represented the end of a technology which had been "important to so many lives".

I haven't seen one for years, I bet that many of the younger posters have never seen one!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Good riddance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

I saw a report on the BBC this morning about that. The guy from Brothers said that he thought the legal profession still used them to make multiple copies. Anyone know what that's about? I would have thought a pc with a word processor would be much easier to print off multiple copies from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

Whats a typewriter? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Ah the days of trying to make fake ID's with a typewriter, plastic and an iron..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

I saw a report on the BBC this morning about that. The guy from Brothers said that he thought the legal profession still used them to make multiple copies. Anyone know what that's about? I would have thought a pc with a word processor would be much easier to print off multiple copies from.

There are a lot of legal firms who still use them for form filling. most of the forms you can now download and fill in on the computer...but some offices haven't brought themselves up to date. there are still offices that use them for filling in requisitions on title using carbon paper for duplication...but they're in the minority now thankfully.

I did a secretarial course in the 90s and we were taught on typewriters to stop people cheating by changing their mistakes on the computer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

I have seen a good number of them and have used them. First learnt how to type on one! I'm in my 20's! No biggy!:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Good riddance.

Jaysus, don't tell me that typewriters were a Masonic plot to help enslave mankind as well?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

My Dad used to own one, he used to let me type things for him before we had PCs in our school. Eventually the mechanism broke inside.
    A few of my Dads older friends still use them to type documents. One of them is Scottish, hence reminding me of this:

Punch the keys for god sake! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭john_cappa

I remember we got one in 1989/1990.

Banged away on it for a few weeks till the ink ribbon rang out. Noisy ****er. No wonder my mother kept telling me the shop had none left!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Jumblon

Ding!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭john_cappa

I remember when the ink started to go you nearly had to punch the keys to get the letter to show.

Blood was drawn.

I would have thought that's a word processor in the video, not a type-writer.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Please Stand for the Typewriter Anthem....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

I would have thought that's a word processor in the video, not a type-writer.
    Most typewriters made in the past 30 years or so have been electronic, they have a small text display that shows one (or two) line of text that you can read before typing onto the paper.

The purely mechanical ones are long gone (in this part of the world anyway).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

My parents had a typewriter once. Had great craic slamming away on it (before I even knew how to write).

Then they introduced me to Windows 3.1 and I never looked back.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Most typewriters made in the past 30 years or so have been electronic, they have a small text display that shows one (or two) line of text that you can read before typing onto the paper.

The purely mechanical ones are long gone (in this part of the world anyway).

I had a kids manual typewriter as a child from "Petite", moved up to a larger typewriter at about 7 or 8 and then a V-Tech Kids laptop with a HP printer.

Manual typewriters were a nuisance the amount of force they took.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

OneArt wrote: »

Then they introduced me to Windows 3.1 and I never looked back.

Should also be added to the museum...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

john47832 wrote: »
    Should also be added to the museum...
    Indiana Jones and the lost software

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Dub.

They will come back into fashion someday, some of the older manual machines are like works of art.

I still have two of them, a tiny Hermes Baby made in Switzerland , and a french made Rooy that folds up flat like a laptop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Dub. wrote: »
    They will come back into fashion someday, some of the older manual machines are like works of art.

I still have two of them, a tiny Hermes Baby made in Switzerland , and a french made Rooy that folds up flat like a laptop.

They already have, some of the hipster types are buying them.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/books/9398975/Why-a-typewriter-is-the-ultimate-hipster-accessory.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭marketty

Tom Hanks will be crushed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

I've been in plenty of offices where the dot matrix printer is still in daily use, (I nearly creamed myself when I inserted the floppy disc with the driver on it to enable me to print actual PICTURES back in 1992, Cindy Crawford never looked so good in grayscale! :D), and I still use a fax machine on a daily basis, though that too I'd imagine it's days are numbered :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

LOL. Mechanical word processing.

LOL, LOL, LOL, ROFL. LMAO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

If anybody still has an old typewriter, sell it to Tom Hanks. He's mad after them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

I see a lot of teething problems with this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

kowloon wrote: »
    They already have, some of the hipster types are buying them.

This news didn't surprise me at all. Damn those hipsters and their predictability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Did you know, that the longest word you can get using the top row of a standard QWERTY keyboard is typewriter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

keith16 wrote: »
    Did you know, that the longest word you can get using the top row of a standard QWERTY keyboard is typewriter?

Actually its not...

yipeeeeeeeeeee

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

keith16 wrote: »

teetertotter?

Advertisement