Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Changing Career Path

• 20-11-2012 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi All,

I am interested in a career change from Engineering into Banking.

My degree is Civil Engineering.

I did enjoy working as an engineer but I have been in and out of work since I graduated in 2007. Now I am 32 and wondering whether or not I should try a different career. I have always had an interest in finance and think it might be a good choice for me with my maths background.

Has anyone any idea of what might be an avenue to pursue this change. I have applied for a few document controller positions as they seem closest to experience I have aquired previously. I would definitely consider studying further part time too.

Please if you have any advice on courses or positions I should aim for please just send me a post.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Eva_C

Hi,

There's a good website that offers some helpful career changing advice. It's on NightCourses.com

If you access the Guidance Forums, the various forums are itemized. One is called Career Development & Information. If the info you require is not already listed there, you can post your own question.

I guess it depends on what type of Banking you want to get into. The Corporate Banking sector is probably where more jobs are at the moment. Maybe check out the likes of Citi & the Multi's that are in the IFSC (if you are based in Dublin). Do a bit of research re: the Banks that you might like to work for.

To be honest I'd reach out to them directly if you can. It's how I got my job (one recruitment agency wouldn't put me forward for the job I did end up getting, so I went the direct route myself). Bear in mind this wasn't recently, but, persistence pays off.

Best of luck & I hope you end up working in a career/field that you do enjoy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

I would highly reccommend reading

What color is your Parachute?

A great book for career changers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,147 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

OP, please don't post the same question in multiple forums.

That said, you should take a look at this answer from the other thread:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=81846542&postcount=10

Advertisement