Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doing German ab initio in college?

Options
  • 20-11-2012 12:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

Hi, I'm going to college next year and I'm considering doing German as part of arts, as many colleges are offering it at beginner level. Does anybody know how difficult it would be to take up German from scratch and achieve a high level of fluency in 3/4 years?

Danke! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Drakares

Howdy,

It really depends on you. I've been learning it casually for over a year now and I'm at conversational level. I did take classes in the Goethe Institut for 6 months to get a good base before taking it upon myself to just do a bit every day.

It's not something you can pick up and drop for a few weeks as you tend to go backwards. If I don't keep up to scratch, I forget things I've learned.

Maybe this is better coming from the more fluent speakers of this forum. But if you start from scratch, fluency in 3 or 4 years is definitely doable. Plenty of German TV, reading books and speaking with German natives is a big +

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭5unflower

The great thing about doing German ab initio in college is that you'll be covering the basics very quickly and the quick progress in the first year or so will be very satisfying and rewarding before you will probably get a chance to go away for a semester to a German speaking country later in the course, which will definitly help with fluency. As long as you are motivated and interested in studying a new language I think German ab initio is a great choice as part of any degree and would definitly recommend it.

Advertisement