Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chipping my original Playstation.

Options
  • 19-11-2012 8:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭

I used to have my PS1 chipped years ago and I picked up an original model nice and cheap the other week. And I was just wondering what methods I can use to chip it without risking breaking the thing?

I heard of using a method that involved keeping the button on the inside of the disk tray down and swapping but I actually have no idea. I was only like, 10 or 11 when I had it chipped, I'm 23 now and I'm brainless.

Anyone got any hints?
    Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

If it's a very old PS1 (one of the very first) then the swap trick will work. By using a spring to hold down the "tray open" trigger at the back-right where the tray hinge is you can open the console tray without the console knowing. Then boot with a PAL original, open the tray, swap to an NTSC/NTSC-J original and continue on. This was fixed pretty early in the PS1 life cycle though.

If your console has an expansion/parallel slot at the back you can pick up a second hand 'game enhancer' from Amazon Marketplace/ebay. One of my first ever forays into "modchips" right there, and it was nothing more than an action reply or whatever.

Failing those two options you've really only got a stealth modchip soldering job to make it work

• Registered Users Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

Yeah it has the slot at the back. Surely I can still get those cards handy enough? I used to have one ("Password Card")

I might go ahead and get one.

EDIT: I didn't see that u mentioned Ebay and Amazon I'm such a dope haha. Thanks :)

You're welcome, best of luck. Sort of wish I had a PS1 now; damn nostalgia!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I've done a bunch of these for the lads over in the arcade & retro forum. Are you any way decent with a soldering iron? The phat type PS1 is quite easy to do. The slimmer PSone's are a bit more finnicky.

2a0gric.jpg

1414804.jpg

2affyth.jpg

EnterNow wrote: »
    I've done a bunch of these for the lads over in the arcade & retro forum. Are you any way decent with a soldering iron? The phat type PS1 is quite easy to do.

Tell that to 12 year old me who bricked his first playstation trying to install a modchip :p

• Advertisement
Advertisement