Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Knock old Cottage and build new?

Options
  • 19-11-2012 6:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

An old cottage with 1.2 acre site has come available close to where I live. This cottage is very close to a very busy road and does not have any septic tank. The site slope higher as you move away from the road.

What are the realisitc chances of getting planning permission for a new house back further in the site and knocking the cottage?

The removal of the cottage would make access to the road much safer and the area just behind it coul be the perculation area assuming is passed the test.

From what I have been told is that I will only get planning if I renovate and or build onto the exisiting cottage.

Any advice welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

320d wrote: »
    An old cottage with 1.2 acre site has come available close to where I live. This cottage is very close to a very busy road and does not have any septic tank. The site slope higher as you move away from the road.

What are the realisitc chances of getting planning permission for a new house back further in the site and knocking the cottage?

The removal of the cottage would make access to the road much safer and the area just behind it coul be the perculation area assuming is passed the test.

From what I have been told is that I will only get planning if I renovate and or build onto the exisiting cottage.

Any advice welcome.
    If you have a valid reason for replacing the house on the site and you can justify your proposal then you should be able to put the new house on the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭320d

Thanks for that - has anyone had a similar experience?

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭hiho1967

what would a valid reason be thou ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Too close to the road,
    Not adequate separation distances,
    uneconomic to do up, cheaper to replace,
    substandard materials used in the original construction,

There are plenty more and all specific to particular cases, you can't just shoehorn a reason into a particular case and hope it works, you have to be specific.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,279 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Too close to the road,
    Not adequate separation distances,
    uneconomic to do up, cheaper to replace,
    substandard materials used in the original construction,

There are plenty more and all specific to particular cases, you can't just shoehorn a reason into a particular case and hope it works, you have to be specific.

as an addition to the bolded above, the planners in my LA wouldnt specifically take economic value into account as a reason to replace.

However, if a structural report was to show that the structure was unsound and the foundations had failed, they then have a much stronger reason to allow the replacement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭firlodge

Hi
    Can I just throw in a thought.... Ignore if you like!
    If it is a busy road to you really want to live with the noise level near it?
    Winter & triple glazing may be ok but what about bbqs in the summer?
    It may not seem important now but think long term.
    Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

I can't see many planners accepting the fact that someone bought a house and now wants to build another just because its too close to the road. Besides that though there's a lot more questions need answered: is the cottage currently occupied, what are the local authority requirements for local needs, when you say busy road what sort of road, (local, regional, national), would moving back up the site require extensive excavation or would you consider some form of split level house to deal with the slope.

Advertisement