Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

High Ropes Adventure Course - Cabinteely Park

Options
  • 19-11-2012 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭

http://www.dlrcoco.ie/newsevents/latestnews/title,8885,en.html

Proposed Development: Installation of a high rope adventure course consisting of four distinct overlapping tracks through the trees with 41 games in all to include two platforms providing access...

To be located in the woods above Cabinteely House

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Great news, Bravo to the council

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

One of the PDFs says this crowd are designing & installing it.
    http://www.skywab.com/en/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

why do they have to keep on messing with The Park?
    it's gone into complete overkill.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

commercial venture so actually taking away free use of the park from people, combined with car park expansion means bad news all round for the actual greenery aspect of the park.
    Of course no details about cost to use etc even though they state all the benefits it'll provide (which it won't if costs are too high)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

zmccomish is gonna love this! Ha, Health & Safety!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

commercial venture so actually taking away free use of the park from people, combined with car park expansion means bad news all round for the actual greenery aspect of the park.
    Of course no details about cost to use etc even though they state all the benefits it'll provide (which it won't if costs are too high)

I agree with this. First they added that pointless pitch, then that pointless bowling/croquet lawn. They seem to be hell bent on removing all the open green spaces in the park.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 db5000

I agree this is complete overkill. On top of the pitch and the bowling 'mudpit', there's the ornamental pond, the fruit orchard, the new (pay-per-use) toilet block, the renovation of the stable into a cafe (when there's already 4 in Cab village and another in the Park near the school), the Japanese Gardens and the massive new security gates (who's purpose is to keep us out of all of the above after dark!?)

Why the hell is DLRCOCO spending this money on an already-terrific amenity in supposedly the worst recesson since Noah was a lad? Is there really no higher priority for their budget in the area?

I do like the parcours exercise stands though.

PLUS knocking mature trees
    PLUS loosing the current quiet walk
    PLUS additional traffic coming through the Park housing estate...nah. Move it to Coillte's forest.

I'm expressing my unhapiness to planning@dlrcoco.ie. Deadline for comments is January 28 - no whining after thhat date of you don't complain! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,282 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Coilette do have there a tree top adventure opening soon in the dublin mountains the crowd who run the place outside carrick on Shannon are opening it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭100gSoma

I think one of the biggest concerns would have to be the sizable increase in throug- traffic through the park housing estate on park drive road. Many families live along this road, and I can envisage a constant stream of cars and coaches on weekends. I've seen details of the additional car parking spaces, but no mention of the increased traffic to get to them and the route used.
    I understand the project is on hold at the minute pending a coco review. However I'm told that a revised plan is already being drawn up for approval. I'm yet to be convinced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

100gSoma wrote: »
    I think one of the biggest concerns would have to be the sizable increase in throug- traffic through the park housing estate on park drive road. Many families live along this road, and I can envisage a constant stream of cars and coaches on weekends. I've seen details of the additional car parking spaces, but no mention of the increased traffic to get to them and the route used.
    I understand the project is on hold at the minute pending a coco review. However I'm told that a revised plan is already being drawn up for approval. I'm yet to be convinced.
    I doubt there will be a significant traffic increase. How many people will be on the course at any one time - maybe 20 or 40, but not 00's of people.

• Advertisement

RainyDay wrote: »
    I doubt there will be a significant traffic increase. How many people will be on the course at any one time - maybe 20 or 40, but not 00's of people.

Projected visitors numbers are being reported at 100,000 per year.
    That's approx 2000 people per week.

The car park is more than doubling in size, and one has to infer that the amount of traffic would need to increase to accommodate the projected figures of 250+ visitors per day (that's an averaged out daily figure, but in reality I'd estimate sat/sun would have 1000+ visitors based on the projected figures of 100k visitors per year).

If you look at the plan for the 4 tracks on the course, 20-40 persons using it at any one time is very conservative, and doesn't really tally with the projected visitor numbers or the more than doubling of car park spaces from 49 to 114.

I've no hangups about the plan or the trees etc, just asking the question about the traffic to and from the facility.

Park Drive road already has some issues with cars passing each other on weekends, because people park on the road outside their houses and this limits the ability for two cars to pass alongside a parked car. I would hope any revised plan by the council would specifically address this concern and hopefully allay it.

Projected visitors numbers are being reported at 100,000 per year.
    That's approx 2000 people per week.
    Source please? Are these the numbers for the whole park, or for the ropes course?

Even with those numbers, 500 people over a 10 hour Saturday is 50 people an hour, or 20-30 cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Tragedy

Source please? Are these the numbers for the whole park, or for the ropes course?

Even with those numbers, 500 people over a 10 hour Saturday is 50 people an hour, or 20-30 cars.
    You're ignoring peak time effects. A park may be open for 12 hours but have 50% of visitors over 3 hours, for example.

Source please?

The sources I'm citing are from national media. http://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/councillors-in-d%C3%BAn-laoghaire-vote-for-high-rise-adventure-in-cabinteely-park-1.1449649

The official plans available on the DLRCOCO planning site do not include the projected visitor numbers. There is no mention in any of the supporting application documentation about the projected visitors figures or route used by coaches etc. That in itself is of concern to me. I cannot advise as to where the national media (multiple sources) attained that projected figure.

Regarding peak time effects; I totally agree with Tragedy that there would not be an even spread of visitors throughout the day unless all visitors were pre-assigned a visiting time. This is not the case (prebooking etc).

The sources I'm citing are from national media. http://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/councillors-in-d%C3%BAn-laoghaire-vote-for-high-rise-adventure-in-cabinteely-park-1.1449649

The official plans available on the DLRCOCO planning site do not include the projected visitor numbers. There is no mention in any of the supporting application documentation about the projected visitors figures or route used by coaches etc. That in itself is of concern to me. I cannot advise as to where the national media (multiple sources) attained that projected figure.

Regarding peak time effects; I totally agree with Tragedy that there would not be an even spread of visitors throughout the day unless all visitors were pre-assigned a visiting time. This is not the case (prebooking etc).

Thanks, hard to see how there could be anything near 100k extra visitors solely for the high ropes course, given that it will only be active for a few months of the year.

For insomniacs, the discussion at the Council meeting can be found at http://bit.ly/1fb0VYw The Council speaker at about 35:50 confirms my view that the online booking system will ensure no huge traffic/footfall impact.

Advertisement