Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of Psychology

Options
  • 19-11-2012 2:34pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 207 ✭✭

Hi, I'm still in secondary school and am considering doing psychology in UCC next year. I was thinking of going along to sit in on some of the lectures.

My main question is: are the numbers big?? because if it was 30 per class it would be a bit awkward, compared to going into a lecture of say 200 people where I wouldn't be noticed

Also, do psychology students spend all their time down in distillery fields? if so is there a miniature libriary down there for them?:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,304 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

I didn't do Psychology myself but one of the lads I was living with did it so have some knowledge. Firstly if you're picking a course based on whether or not it will be awkward with only 30 people in a class then you should perhaps have a rethink.

There will be some lectures which will fill out boole 4 especially in first year as many Arts students do it as one of their modules in first year and is then a 20 credit subject for 2nd and 3rd. So the non-specific lectures will have big numbers. However the other half will just be with your class which will be 30 give or take. So in the long run it'll be like school in terms of class size and you will get to know your class for better or worse.

As far as I know there will be a few (not exaggerating) books in the CEC but the Boole Library will really be the main source, ye're not as special as Medicine I'm afraid. Just to be warned there is a lot of Stats involved so if you don't like numbers and correlations etc it will be "interesting". The CEC will cater for most of the full-time Psych lectures/classes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 207 ✭✭StrugglingSoul

I didn't do Psychology myself but one of the lads I was living with did it so have some knowledge. Firstly if you're picking a course based on whether or not it will be awkward with only 30 people in a class then you should perhaps have a rethink.

There will be some lectures which will fill out boole 4 especially in first year as many Arts students do it as one of their modules in first year and is then a 20 credit subject for 2nd and 3rd. So the non-specific lectures will have big numbers. However the other half will just be with your class which will be 30 give or take. So in the long run it'll be like school in terms of class size and you will get to know your class for better or worse.

As far as I know there will be a few (not exaggerating) books in the CEC but the Boole Library will really be the main source, ye're not as special as Medicine I'm afraid. Just to be warned there is a lot of Stats involved so if you don't like numbers and correlations etc it will be "interesting". The CEC will cater for most of the full-time Psych lectures/classes.

No I mean awkward because I'm not part of the class now as I'm still in secondary school, so I would stand out.. but i live in Cork. Could u please provide me with a timetable. The first yr one I looked at so far has all its lecture in the enterprise building and the WGB but now I've found some timetable that contains a few boole lectures. The timetables are bloody confusing

• Registered Users Posts: 16,304 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Oh sorry, that makes more sense alright. If you went to one of Boole lectures you'd be fine, nobody would pay any attention. The others are probably a no go, unless you emailed the department maybe.

As regards to a timetable I have as much an idea as you. I struggled to find my own timetable every year. If you emailed the department of psychology and asked them for one and explained I reckon would be your best move.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 musicmad18

Hi:) I'm doing psychology and it's great, if you were to go to the first year lectures, most of them are really big as in a couple of hundred or so, in first year most of the lectures are on main campus like in the booles in that, as you progress yo u spend more time in distillery fields, there is no library there. Hope this is of use to you!:)

Advertisement