Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

German pin plug in UK socket

Options
  • 19-11-2012 11:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭

Hi all

Looking for some information regarding the potential safety issues of the scenario below:

I had a chap out last week to install Saorview and Free To Air. He also installed a combo box however on closer inspection it is actually powered with a German plug (two round pins). So he has bypassed the safety of the earth pin insertion with a little piece of plastic and inserted the live pin(s) into the wall.

My question is, what potential safety concerns (if any) should I have about this?

Many thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

he should have cut it off and fitted a standard plug with 3amp fuse
    the box may not need an earth so that may not be an issue

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

If the plug was like this then it has no earth, so the box will have no earth. (most probably is this)

VDE-font-b-Germany-b-font-font-b-power-b-font-font-b-cord-b-font.jpg
    So he has bypassed the safety of the earth pin insertion with a little piece of plastic and inserted the live pin(s) into the wall.
    he should not have left the plastic inserted in the plug socket, by reading that I am unsure if he did or not. Fitting a new plug as recommend above is the best, the usual quick fix is to stick something in the earth socket, this engages a mechanism which opens the live & neutral pin sockets on the wall. Then you put the 2 pin plug in and take out the temporary "earth".

If he left the plastic jammed in the earth then if somebody pulls out the 2 pin plug the live & neutral stay open and kids can poke things into them. If there is no "plastic earth" the mechanism works again shutting down the openings when the 2 pin plug is removed.

Some supposed 'safety devices" to cover plug sockets cause more harm than good.
    http://www.fatallyflawed.org.uk/

You can get nonbulky converters like this too
    eUROPEAN_PLUG_ADAPTER.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭mac_daddy

Hi yes, sorry I should have stated it more clearly. The plastic was not left in the "earth" pin. I am wondering though with the way it is at present is it safe to keep a connection of just two pins?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

mac_daddy wrote: »
    Hi yes, sorry I should have stated it more clearly. The plastic was not left in the "earth" pin. I am wondering though with the way it is at present is it safe to keep a connection of just two pins?

Thanks

You need to either fit a 3 pin plug top or use a fused adapter.

The problem with your current set up is there is no fuse protecting the flex.

A 5 amp or maybe a 3 amp fuse is required, not the standard 13a to provide proper protection.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Thats how my digital CO2 injection system for my Discuss came in from Germany.

A 2 pin plug

But the company also supplied the kit with a UK adaptor plug too.

• Advertisement

Inserting a Europlug into a BS1363 socket is dangerous because the Europlug isn't fused. I'd recommend either cutting off the Europlug and fitting the correct plug, or using one of the aforementioned adapters.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,318 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Advertisement