Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deed of Separation - Ireland or UK ?

Options
  • 19-11-2012 9:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi

Sorry if this falls under a legal discussion, so please lock the post if necessary.

My marriage of 15 years finished a few months ago ( didn't see that coming ) we agreed to a informal separation however I want to start looking at putting something more formal in place ( deed of separation ? ) to sort out finances and start putting closure on things.

My question is can I do this in Ireland because we are both English, married in England, I'm living in Ireland and she returned to the UK ?

Thanks in advance
    Andy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,238 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

A deed of separation will be something that you agree (not necessarily something you will agree easily, but there will be no deed until you reach agreement) and to that extent it doesn;t matter whether you draw it up and execute it in England or in Ireland; it will bind you both because you've agreed to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

If it was me i'd do everything through the English courts. There you could be divorced in matter of months(if everything is agreed). Here you'll have to wait 4 years to even start the divorce proceedings.

Advertisement