Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to buy a console and mod it.

Options
  • 19-11-2012 7:00am
    Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭

Looking to buy either a PS3 or Xbox to mod. I read stories about a recent PS3 hack that Sony were worried about, is it that good? Is it still available? Will it likely be patched out? Do I need to buy a PS3 with a specific current firmware? Does it work on the fats, slims and super slims? I'm not looking to take the machine online so that should help with not bricking it.

EDIT: Been reading the PS3 thread; so, am I to understand that I should buy a pre-owned slim? CFW does not work on Super Slims? Also, it should have OFW 3.55 or less? Or does it matter if I get one with higher OFW? What is a DEX PS3? I plan on upgrading the storage, and read in the PS3 thread that it's best to do that on 3.55 CFW then go to 4.XX. Any drives that people would recommend/not recommend?

Regarding the xbox, I have read that there are way to hack it, primarily through disk drive flashing or something? I'll google around for a guide, I just want to know if it is possible to do it on all models? Also not really going to be taking the xbox online either.

EDIT: Also been looking through the Xbox thread. Is the only option the hack it through hardware means? :O Not sure I'm able for that. Is there not a software way to do it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Re PS3, you still need a vulnerable firmware to begin with...so if you buy a new, or most used ones, you'll need a hardware flasher to downgrade to 3.55, & only from there, can you install a cfw. A DEX console is a TEST/Debug console thatdevelopers use, a CEX console is a retail one like what we get. You can make your console a kind of pseudo CEX/DEX hybrid with these new cfw's too.

Re Xbox360, unless the dash version is 7371 or lower, & that'd be very hard to find in the wild these days, you need to do the RGH instead of a Jtag. This involves soldering/hardware etc.

I also just happen to have an original fully boxed 60GB launch model PS3 for sale which is on 3.55...just so you know :p

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

I'll hunt down a 3.55 PS3 then (as I don't think you ship to Korea ;) )

Methinks the Xbox is going to be trickier but definitely looking to go the software route. Is it likely to find a second gen Xbox with a dashboard that early?

Andy!! wrote: »
    I'll hunt down a 3.55 PS3 then (as I don't think you ship to Korea ;) )

Lol, your correct there :D
    Methinks the Xbox is going to be trickier but definitely looking to go the software route. Is it likely to find a second gen Xbox with a dashboard that early?

Over here anyway, I'd say consoles with 7371 or lower are all but extinct in the wild, sometimes on adverts you see the odd one popping up but I havn't seen one in ages. Also, JTAG is hardware too I assume you know :)

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

Yeah, as far as hardware goes, I don't mind ripping out a drive or summat, but I am not doing anything even vaguely related to soldering etc. :D Just seems like too much hassle to me.

Andy!! wrote: »
    Just seems like too much hassle to me.

After seeing Freestyle 3 in action with coverflow etc, I can tell you its definitely worth the effort

• Advertisement
Advertisement