Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fantasy Football myths

Options
  • 19-11-2012 12:45am
    Site Banned Posts: 549 ✭✭✭

Suarez is fantasy football poison. 10 league goals, two more than any other player and 80 points, 2nd highest proves that this is an absolute fallacy.

Similarly with Gareth Bale, 14 goals and 17 assists this season and last. A great FF player.

Any more?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭darego

bale was considered ff poison because he would score nothing for weeks and people would captain him and loose out, then he would score big in 1 or 2 games so if you had him for the whole season (like players like baines) he would net you nice points otherwise it's just a lottery :pac:

suarez is starting to look good because he's starting to find his finishing boots

• Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

looks like Norwich now are much tighter in defence so Ruddy could be a good GK to have

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Ares wrote: »
    Suarez is fantasy football poison. 10 league goals, two more than any other player and 80 points, 2nd highest proves that this is an absolute fallacy.

Similarly with Gareth Bale, 14 goals and 17 assists this season and last. A great FF player.

Any more?

Is this a thread for actual myths or is it just a thread for having a cheap shot at others?

Bale and Suarez are two players that Carlcon named in a post earlier this year as "poision".

I don't think showing his opinion may have been incorrect warrants a full thread. If you were to start a thread for everyone who gets something wrong on this forum, we'd have a lot of threads to read.

• Site Banned Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Ares

Lemlin wrote: »
    Is this a thread for actual myths or is it just a thread for having a cheap shot at others?

Bale and Suarez are two players that Carlcon named in a post earlier this year as "poision".

I don't think showing his opinion may have been incorrect warrants a full thread. If you were to start a thread for everyone who gets something wrong on this forum, we'd have a lot of threads to read.

No, no, this is a thread for fantasy football myths which are presumed right but in actual fact very wrong. I named two such examples. I was hoping you, and others would contribute a few more.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

No, no, this is a thread for fantasy football myths which are presumed right but in actual fact very wrong. I named two such examples. I was hoping you, and others would contribute a few more.

But what exactly warrants these as myths?

Suarez wasn't a good FF player for most of last season. I only had him a few weeks myself. He's on a good run now but it could end.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,331 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

Lemlin wrote: »
    But what exactly warrants these as myths?

Suarez wasn't a good FF player for most of last season. I only had him a few weeks myself. He's on a good run now but it could end.

Ya the whole Suarez thing was based on last seasons form

• Registered Users Posts: 6,962 ✭✭✭Hogey007

Any more?

Liverpool fan??

Suarez was rubbish in FF terms up until recently (for his price), he's found good form now both in FF scoring and actual PL scroring.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,981 ✭✭✭G1032

Just to echo earlier comments..Suarez was poison last season but he's the anti poison this seson.
    IMO you're wrong about Bale. Them goals and assists come in bursts. He'll get 15 or 16 points one week, nothing for the next three and then another 14 points. Cant rely on him andcant make him captain. He is FF poison.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Fantasy Football myths AKA Things that may not have been true last season but may have changed based on the first 12 weeks of this season

1) Suarez when on a run of form becomes a viable FF option.

2) Fulham don't create enough chances/score enough goals while on the road.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Carlcon was absolutely correct. At the time, both were poisonous players.

Suarez was doing absolutely nothing but scuffing chances, hitting the post and putting 10 off target for every 1 he scored. His bonus points were dreadful because of this. Heck, look at him Saturday...2 goals in a 3-0 win and he scored 1 bonus. He received no bonus in a win where he scored earlier in the season.

Bale was a very frustrating player. Two seasons ago, he was rediculously inconsistant. He would score 15 one day and then follow it with 7 gameweeks without a goal or an assist. However, despite a clear and proven record of inconsistency, the second he had a good week last year, the sheep clamoured on board. However, he went on a rediculous streak over the next few weeks and they mopped up. Bad transfer which worked out. This year, he is still very patchy and does poorly in the games you expect him to do well in (Spurs 0 - 1 Wigan). This means he cannot be relied upon as a captain choice. If you plan on buying Bale, you will have to have him in every single week and suck up all the frustrating weeks where he gets 2 points, and resist the temptation to sell him each week in case this week just might be the week. Because, invariably, after selling him after blanks against 3 bottom clubs, he'll score the next week.

Suarez is beginning to show signs of life, but I think that's down to the new system Liverpool are playing more than anything else.

So in relation you your question regarding myths, there is no such thing as a myth when it comes to players. Only facts based on form and team fortunes.

Valencia is sh!te this year but I'm not going to put him in based on last years "myth". Constant evaluation and revaluation of you team and players is a necessity for success, a skill that the likes of Carlcon, RoryC, Lemlin and the rest of the top players have in abundance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

G1032 wrote: »
    Just to echo earlier comments..Suarez was poison last season but he's the anti poison this seson.
    IMO you're wrong about Bale. Them goals and assists come in bursts. He'll get 15 or 16 points one week, nothing for the next three and then another 14 points. Cant rely on him andcant make him captain. He is FF poison.

Very strange comments about Bale, I can't get my head around them really, how often are you gonna make a midfield player captain? He was second highest midfield FF scorer last year, only Dempsey did better and he was closer to being a striker, Bale is putting up very respectable numbers this year also.

Just in comment to the little feud going on in this thread i only came upon this forum last week and the other day I had a look over some of the old threads from the start of the season, a lot of people were wrong about a lot of things, it's funny really, there was a consensus that Sigurdsson would be a massive scorer etc, thats the joy of the game I suppose, you never can tell. A lot of people on here act like they know it all but there is a decent element of luck involved, I've realised that nobody is going to score big every week so I'm gonna try to be more patient

• Registered Users Posts: 16,680 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Defenders and Clean Sheets The Greatest Myth of 12/13 season............

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Bale being FF poison is LOL. Assessing how good a player is based on a few weeks makes no sense.

How can you call the second highest scoring midfielder in the game last year anything but a great player to have in your FF team?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,263 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

FutureGuy wrote: »

Carlcon was absolutely correct. At the time, both were poisonous players.

Suarez was doing absolutely nothing but scuffing chances, hitting the post and putting 10 off target for every 1 he scored. His bonus points were dreadful because of this. Heck, look at him Saturday...2 goals in a 3-0 win and he scored 1 bonus. He received no bonus in a win where he scored earlier in the season.

Bale was a very frustrating player. Two seasons ago, he was rediculously inconsistant. He would score 15 one day and then follow it with 7 gameweeks without a goal or an assist. However, despite a clear and proven record of inconsistency, the second he had a good week last year, the sheep clamoured on board. However, he went on a rediculous streak over the next few weeks and they mopped up. Bad transfer which worked out. This year, he is still very patchy and does poorly in the games you expect him to do well in (Spurs 0 - 1 Wigan). This means he cannot be relied upon as a captain choice. If you plan on buying Bale, you will have to have him in every single week and suck up all the frustrating weeks where he gets 2 points, and resist the temptation to sell him each week in case this week just might be the week. Because, invariably, after selling him after blanks against 3 bottom clubs, he'll score the next week.

Suarez is beginning to show signs of life, but I think that's down to the new system Liverpool are playing more than anything else.

So in relation you your question regarding myths, there is no such thing as a myth when it comes to players. Only facts based on form and team fortunes.

Valencia is sh!te this year but I'm not going to put him in based on last years "myth". Constant evaluation and revaluation of you team and players is a necessity for success, a skill that the likes of Carlcon, RoryC, Lemlin and the rest of the top players have in abundance.

I agree with just about everything you said, especially the last point about evaluation and revaluation. As for Bale, arguing that he might do nothing for a few weeks is besides the point really. It's obvious that captaining him is going to be a huge gamble in that regard. Just don't do it! 9 times out of 10 people should captain a forward anyway, so it's their own fault if they're gambling on Bale having one of his "big" weeks, and fail. Stupid is as stupid does.

Now. The most important thing for me is the sum total points a player gains come the end of the season. Bale excelled last year, and he's off to a pretty good start this time round. A wild card once in a blue moon aside, we only get one poxy transfer a week. Is that enough? For most managers, probably not... So having a player in your team that you're fairly confident will return a very good score over the course of a season, and not having to worry about using up valuable transfers, well that's just a ff godsend

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

Bale is worth it if you stick with him for the season.

He either gets 2 points or a massive score, nothing for weeks but then he can score highly in a single gameweek.

Extremely risky captain also.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,552 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

The debate on Luis Suarez would be very different if he had received the red card he deserved against Wigan.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭siralan

Just wondering if anyone knows a fantasy football site where it is possible to join at any stage in season or if they have new league starting each week ?

Advertisement