Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Autobiographies

Options
  • 19-11-2012 12:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭

I have just won a thirty euro Easons voucher and am wondering what book to get.

My only real areas of interest are politics and sport; ive just finished reading paul scholes autobiography and by christ it was boring as hell, i would have thought a person that didnt say much would have had a juicy bit of info on his life, but no, it was fairly terrible.

So my question is would ye recommend me any political/ football autobiographies with a bitta dirt/or just a good read.

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭The One Who Knocks

Well I've never went further than the cat in the hat, so I can't really advise you as such...

But you could always sell it for €20-25 ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Podgerz wrote: »
    I have just won a thirty euro Easons voucher and am wondering what book to get.

My only real areas of interest are politics and sport; ive just finished reading paul scholes autobiography and by christ it was boring as hell, i would have thought a person that didnt say much would have had a juicy bit of info on his life, but no, it was fairly terrible.

So my question is would ye recommend me any political/ football autobiographies with a bitta dirt/or just a good read.

Cheers
    If you're looking for a political football read, I hear Rosin Shorthall has a book coming out soon..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Eddie Jordan's is an interesting read if you can stand the typos and the odd factual inaccuracy

• Registered Users Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Paul McGrath's book is a great read if you haven't already.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 343 ✭✭Sorcha16

Do not get Roy Keane's, it's woeful

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭toodleytoo

I enjoyed Ruby Walsh's one, he doesn't say a whole pile but what he does say is good. He definitely knows his stuff!!

Edit:Just noticed you said football, sorry!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

Not Irish but maybe Fabrice Muamba's new book.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Twink has a book out.

I have no interest in it or her.

But it could come in handy as something heavy to throw at her should you ever have the misfortune to meet her in the street.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Jazzmaster

Yeah the book might be somewhat useful in that regard but, personally, I'd prefer a grenade!

It's not a football book but Paul Kimmage's "Rough Ride" is quite a good book and very topical too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Nemanja91 wrote: »
    Not Irish but maybe Fabrice Muamba's new book.
    One single event (albeit a significant life-changing one) does not an autobiography make.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭a very cool kid

Paul McGrath's book is a great read if you haven't already.

This

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

'Full Time: The Secret Life of Tony Cascarino' is brilliant.

John Giles one was decent too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

If everyone buys Twinks autobiography she might go away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭DainBramage

James Fearnley: here it comes the story of the Pogues.

just finished reading this: it is excellent and gives full detail of all the shenanigans that went on with the band in the 80's.
    Fearnley was the accordion player so he's got all the dirt.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Teebor15

Fearnley was the accordion player so he's got all the dirt

Yes..them accordion players are renowned for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,859 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

While not strictly speaking an autoboigraphy, Guerilla Days In Ireland by Tom Barry is an excellent read.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

If everyone buys Twinks autobiography she might go away

Nonsense!
    It'll only encourage her to write another, my public still love me etc.

Put Twink on your ignore list, then she might go away, for good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

I've just finished Christy O'Connor's biography (Junior). I read it in two days so it was fairly good. It was marred by typos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Lapin wrote: »
    Twink has a book out.

But it could come in handy as something heavy to throw at her should you ever have the misfortune to meet her in the street.

Buy the book and Bookface her.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

Teebor15 wrote: »
    Yes..them accordion players are renowned for it!

The difference between an Accordion and an Onion is that no one cries when you chop up an Accordion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Jarrod

+1 on Paul McGrath's book. Or, if you're into football Garrincha by Ruy Castro is one of the best football books I ever read. Has some pretty funny tales in it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

Ann and Barry.

Awesome literary achievement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭donegal_road

a biography called 'Unsung Hero' about Tom Crean, an Irish sailor who accompanied Scott and Shakleton to the Antarctic on 3 separate occasions. He was a key figure on the expeditions and his story is remarkable. link here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Lapin wrote: »
    Twink has a book out.

Borrow it from the library so you don't have to directly pay for it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 806 ✭✭✭getzls

Try The Ragged Trousered Philanthropists or any George Orwell books.

Things have not changed that much.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Peig is a classic Irish autobiography... >_>

<_<

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭wijam

Crashed and Byrned by Tommy Byrne - Motorsport

Not in to autobiographies at all, but a work colleague lent me this and I really enjoyed it

more info here on Amazon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭john_cappa

The Bull Hayes new one?

Advertisement