Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Catholic survery

Options
  • 18-11-2012 10:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,965 ✭✭✭

There is a survey here run by the Catholic church. From what I can gather the survery is open to non believers as well.

I filled it out and I am leaving the link here for any other X - Catholics.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/PRAFDevangelisation

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭Kiwi in IE

Thank you. I thoroughly enjoyed that! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Question 15 confused me slightly: Please explain in your own words what you believe is the Good News. I was not sure what they were looking for. I put this:

The good news would be hearing that the catholic church was finally consigned to the rubbish heap. The good news would be no longer having to read disgusting stories about the wrongs committed by the members of that despicable organisation. The good news would be that no more would we have to listen to the evil leader of that despicable organisation spout his hate speech about those amongst us that he does not approve of.

Do you think that is what they were looking for?

MrP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

I loved that, I left them a complete mind melt!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

MrPudding wrote: »
    Question 15 confused me slightly: Please explain in your own words what you believe is the Good News. I was not sure what they were looking for. I put this:

The good news would be hearing that the catholic church was finally consigned to the rubbish heap. The good news would be no longer having to read disgusting stories about the wrongs committed by the members of that despicable organisation. The good news would be that no more would we have to listen to the evil leader of that despicable organisation spout his hate speech about those amongst us that he does not approve of.

MrP
    Hmm..
    It seems I did this a little too innocently.

For that I put.
    "Something positive that occurs to the benefit of humans.":)

For the last question about most effective way to share the Gospel I put.
    "That's a tough one. Inevitably you have your beliefs but they might not always be popular. If you want to effectively share the beliefs then popularising your views by agreeing with the masses would be the way to go. Unfortunately that means losing some of the conservative values that probably define you."

• Registered Users Posts: 8,965 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

MrP
    Yeah I liked that one.

I said the good news was when non religious people were given the same rights as religious people. But the good thing about all this is that they will get answers from intelligent people who might give them a thing or two to think about.

• Advertisement

I'm not sure if that is what they were looking for Mr P.

I gave a one word reply to that one; "Nonsense".

I liked the question where there was a range of issues that may potentially put people off Catholicism. They wanted you to choose three. I ticked them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Jernal wrote: »
    For the last question about most effective way to share the Gospel I put.
    "That's a tough one. Inevitably you have your beliefs but they might not always be popular. If you want to effectively share the beliefs then popularising your views by agreeing with the masses would be the way to go. Unfortunately that means losing some of the conservative values that probably define you."
    You put way more effort into that one than I did, I just said that it can't be shared effectively.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭swampgas

There is a survey here run by the Catholic church. From what I can gather the survery is open to non believers as well.

I filled it out and I am leaving the link here for any other X - Catholics.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/PRAFDevangelisation

Done, thanks for the link.

Kiwi in IE wrote: »
    I liked the question where there was a range of issues that may potentially put people off Catholicism. They wanted you to choose three. I ticked them all.
    ha ha.

And you know the thing is, they will have to read these.

I was tempted to tell porkies about the religious orientation of my family. I am sure my replies would be more effective if I had originally been raised in a religious home. They will now attribute my attitude to religion to the perils of a secular upbringing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Good News:
    "The inevitable doom of the Catholic Church".

That was a fun survey.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Zirconia
    Boycott Israeli Goods & Services

For the last one I said: "I appreciate your good intentions, but please do not bother me or my family with your supernatural belief, as I find this offensive".

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

The Good News? The Irish rugby team's injury crisis easing in time for the Six Nations, that'd be bloody good!

To be fair whoever wrote that survey clearly has insight on some level into what makes Catholicism offensive and ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Fortyniner

My response to question 27:

If the Catholic Church were to invest its wealth and resources into helping one single country out of poverty, if it listened to what people say, if it sought kindness for minorities, if it dispensed with the belief in miracles, the collection of wealth, the trappings of ceremony and dress, the seduction of heaven and the terror of hell, then maybe, just maybe, I'd be interested in their news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

27. What do you want to say to Church leaders about how the Good News of the Christian Gospel can be shared most effectively with people like you today?

Answered. Leave me alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

I wrote Jesus was an alien:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,247 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Completed. As I did when I saw it pop up on the xianity forum.

Vote early and often. :D

May spam complete it again tomorrow...

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭MetalDog

Q26. What would help you/does help you to talk with others about your belief/non-belief?

"I have no problems with expressing myself as I learned to think for myself years ago without being trapped by fear, superstition and ignorance." :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,336 ✭✭✭✭Penn

MrP

Good answer. Although I took the survey pretty seriously (including adding a note at the end about how I do think marriage can be important but how it isn't exclusive to Catholicism and existed before Catholicism, so in the Catholicism sense I marked it as being not important), for the question about the Good News, I just went with "She's not pregnant!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Penn wrote: »
    Good answer. Although I took the survey pretty seriously (including adding a note at the end about how I do think marriage can be important but how it isn't exclusive to Catholicism and existed before Catholicism, so in the Catholicism sense I marked it as being not important), for the question about the Good News, I just went with "She's not pregnant!"

I took it very seriously.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 33,336 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I took it very seriously.

MrP

I just couldn't resist on that question. "The Good News" is such an ambiguous, arbitrary term that hopefully by responding in the manner I did, it could highlight for them that "Good News" could mean anything to anybody, and that "Good" is incredibly subjective because the coming of Jesus Christ would not be "Good News" to people who do not follow Jesus Christ. If anything, it would be "Bad News" because it would mean we were all condemned to an eternity in Hell, and that it also isn't really "News" as the premise has been established for almost 2,000 years and no indication of what will happen, when it will happen, if it will happen, or why it might happen has been given due to the vagueness of the source material.

Plus it's funny.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

I took that "Good News" bit a little too seriously maybe, I wrote the first things coming into my mind :

"Obama re-elected, abortion probably about to be partially legalised in Ireland, gender equality making progress..."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

You are such children.

Here's what I wrote for the 'Good News' question.

Christianity is the result of the mixing of Jewish mythology, Greek philosophy and 1st century mysticism. It began a process of codification in the 2nd century but remained a relatively small and unknown sect until the decline of the Roman Empire, when it quickly became popular with an increasingly alientated population. This culminated in Constantine becoming the first Christian Emperor of Rome, which ensured the spread of Christianity throughout the Roman Empire and its successors. Jesus of Nazareth himself most likely never existed. This is very good news!

Fight the power, etc. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Oh hey, you can take it multiple times.

Whoops...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

At this point there's a just lot of poll-wrecking going on.

The submissions of those who replied earnestly are probably going to be ditched along with all the other heathens who filled it in once, twice, more, just to have a rant.

Possibly. I don't know. Just saying. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

But that would be bad statistics. For a statistician, that's worse than anything the church could imagine...

Probably unfair people filling it out twice.

It is better if people just give honest answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,247 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Probably unfair people filling it out twice.

It is better if people just give honest answers.
    Unfair in the same way as being counted as catholic is? Even though I'm not?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

endacl wrote: »
    Unfair in the same way as being counted as catholic is? Even though I'm not?

I'd rather the CC get feedback full of "the reason you are in decline are these:

Do these to stay relevant:

I don't trust you because of these:"

Or something similar other than

"Hurr durr, god is stoopid, hurr durr"

Which one is actually going to benefit the world?

Advertisement