Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harpy Coins

Options
  • 18-11-2012 7:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭

How come most of the change in my pocket still has the Harp on the back? We've been using the Euro for over 10 years now, I thought there would have been more circulation of all the other ones at this stage. Or at least have more German ones here.

I just thought there would be more filthy foreign coins at this stage, considering we Irish are always travelling around, taking money from other countries and have one of the smallest populations in the Eurozone.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Archeron

Aww. I was hoping there was new series of coins featuring the monsters of those old sinbad films.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

I think most coins get lodged in a bank at some point. Maybe the banks repatriate all the non-harpy coins back to their respective countries?

My friend lives in Italy and gets incredibly excited at the sight of a harpy coin over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

WindSock wrote: »
    How come most of the change in my pocket still has the Harp on the back? We've been using the Euro for over 10 years now, I thought there would have been more circulation of all the other ones at this stage. Or at least have more German ones here.

You realise when they loaned us all them billions they didn't give it to us in fifty cents pieces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Archeron wrote: »
    Aww. I was hoping there was new series of coins featuring the monsters of those old sinbad films.

Or the Cyclops. To be found on the old packet of Monster Munch. I thought there would be a series of them but it was always ol' wheel eye on every pack.

But yeah, the Greeks should do that with their coins. All 12 of them.

Lyaiera wrote: »
    You realise when they loaned us all them billions they didn't give it to us in fifty cents pieces.

Yeah right. Are we expected to believe an economy is run on some sort of imaginary figure of non existent physical money?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

i never like our coins, we should put differeent pics on the back of each

Don't forget we also have the one with the three books, whatever that's about.
    Personally I think we should have Rory Gallaghers head on some of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Columbia

I've wondered about this too. I'm almost certain that when the Euro first came out, one general idea was that pretty soon all of the designs would be spread throughout the Eurozone.

I'm still waiting for the day I get an Irish Euro coin shopping in a foreign country.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

WindSock wrote: »
    Yeah right. Are we expected to believe an economy is run on some sort of imaginary figure of non existent physical money?

We had numbers. Some eejits lost the numbers when transferring them from the banks number vault to their own pockets. Unfortunately it was the banks transferring the numbers to their own pockets, and a few friends' pockets. But you see numbers are slippery wee devils, and frankly we'd have been better off with fifty cents pieces, harp or no.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

From the coins in my pocket and on my desk, 33 Irish, 19 from elsewhere . A fair few of the €2 ones were non-Irish. I would guess that people tend to leave coins at home when they travel, and that applies even more to smaller denominations.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Zab wrote: »
    From the coins in my pocket and on my desk, 33 Irish, 19 from elsewhere . A fair few of the €2 ones were non-Irish. I would guess that people tend to leave coins at home when they travel, and that applies even more to smaller denominations.
    52 coins and a desk! No recession for you!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

No land bridge between us and the rest of Europe + the presence of our friendly neighbour to the east buffering the flow of foreign euro by the necessary exchange to/from sterling.

Also reckon the rest of europe might be reluctant about trading in Irish or Greek coinage - get it to the bank as soon as possible!

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭cookie75

34 coins in pocket 3 Spanish ,1 german and an italian all the rest Irish (if only i had a desk :D )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

Tis the same here. I've got 6 coins here and 5 are Spanish and one is German. It'd be nice if they were more mixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,743 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Zab wrote: »

You can also tell where Euro notes are from by the letter in the serial number. Ireland is T. I have some Italian and German ones at the moment.

http://banknotesoftheworld.wordpress.com/category/euro-series/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

You can also tell where Euro notes are from by the letter in the serial number. Ireland is T. I have some Italian and German ones at the moment.

http://banknotesoftheworld.wordpress.com/category/euro-series/

Hmm, only 2 out of 5 non-Irish, although they were the only 50s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

Right now I have a 3 Spanish coins, a German coin and a Slovakian coin in my pocket. A lot of the the foreign euro coins I get are Spanish. I suppose it makes sense when you consider the amount of Irish people that holiday there. The fact we're an island probably explains why most of the coins we see here are Irish. A lot of other EU nationals that live in Ireland are from eastern Europe. Most of the eastern European countries are not in the euro so people don't bring euro coins into the country after they come back to Ireland after a visit home.

Central banks mint coins according to population size. Our relatively small need for coins and our island status probably means most people on the continent would very rarely see Irish coins.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Only two coins out of my six are from the mainland of Europe..both German, the highest and second highest denomination..

The French is the best. I still can't identify some of them..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,720 ✭✭✭donegal_man

What do you suggest we should have? My own suggestions are
    The harp on the two Euro as the largest denomination and on the others, in no particular order
    General Post Office
    Shamrock
    Newgrange
    Glendalough Round Tower
    Broighter Collar
    Georgian Door
    Red Deer
    A selection which I think represents our cultural and natural heritage

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Arpa

I always have a healthy mixture of coins. Favourite is the Austrian with Mozart, or the Italian with Vitruvian man.

Why not have liberty hall on one of our coins, seeing as it's now an " important landmark"?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

A picture of the parochial house on Craggy Island is a must!

Advertisement