Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting up Virtual Box?

Options
  • 18-11-2012 7:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭

So, I received my new Macbook Pro (loving it so far!), and not a moment too soon as the power button on my Dell Studio broke, and I wouldn't have a clue how to solder the wires back together or anything.. but that's for another day.

I took the hard drive out of the Dell, stuck it in an enclosure, and transferred all my files over to the Macbook.

I would now like to install Virtual Box (or any Virtual Machine software, but reports seem to claim VB is reliable, and it's free). My question is, how would I set up Windows 7 on VB? Can I do that from the Dell hard drive that's now in an enclosure? I have no idea where the install CD is, so that may as well be forgotten about.

Any help appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭mcw92

Sinfonia wrote: »
    So, I received my new Macbook Pro (loving it so far!), and not a moment too soon as the power button on my Dell Studio broke, and I wouldn't have a clue how to solder the wires back together or anything.. but that's for another day.

I took the hard drive out of the Dell, stuck it in an enclosure, and transferred all my files over to the Macbook.

I would now like to install Virtual Box (or any Virtual Machine software, but reports seem to claim VB is reliable, and it's free). My question is, how would I set up Windows 7 on VB? Can I do that from the Dell hard drive that's now in an enclosure? I have no idea where the install CD is, so that may as well be forgotten about.

Any help appreciated!

Yes you could install Windows 7 using virtual box with the image file on the External HD.
    You would need to connect the HD everytime you want to run windows 7.

As for installing it without the Windows disk, you could download the iso, and within Virtual Box you can tell it to mount the ISO to install windows from it.
    Its actually quicker than using the disk.
    But you will need a serial code remember.

You can fins links for the ISO's on the webpage below, just click the version and bit you require.
    Windows 7 ISO's

Then in Virtual Box install windows from Image file and select the downloaded ISO and done. Let the install begin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

Okay, connecting the HD every time would be impractical, so downloading the iso looks like the way to go.. As for the serial number, is there any way to find out what mine is in the absence of the install CD?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭mcw92

Sinfonia wrote: »
    Okay, connecting the HD every time would be impractical, so downloading the iso looks like the way to go.. As for the serial number, is there any way to find out what mine is in the absence of the install CD?

The serial could be located on the underneath of the Dell Laptop.
    Otherwise without the original packaging of the cd, or the laptop itself running, i dont think there is any other way. New windows can be got for ~50€ online.

You have a trial of Windows 7 to start with anyways, but there are ways online to get rid or the trial without a serial(somehow:rolleyes:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

Great stuff, thanks for the help :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

The Dell serial number is tied to the Dell machine and won't work under virtualbox (or any other machine for that matter!), you'll need to purchase a new Windows license or use windows in trial mode

Nick

• Advertisement
Advertisement