Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gas cooker spark ignition button powered by battery vs mains electricity

Options
  • 18-11-2012 5:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭

Hi.

A relative recently got a new cooker. The old one (12 years+ at least) had a AA battery powered spark ignition button. The new one has a mains electricity powered spark ignition button (not ideal since nearest plug socket is too close to the cooker).

Is this change the norm for all new gas cookers? I think it is a step backwards.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭jimmyw

Well I wouldn't agree with you on that one.I think the mains operated one is far better.With the battery powered one (which we used to have) as time goes on, the power to create the spark will obviously diminish and you'll I find myself cursing at it.Mains one now

Granted, if the power is off, then you'll have to get a match, lighted paper etc which is another pain, but for the most part it is better.In fairness if the socket is not in a good position for the cooker, that's not the fault of the cooker.Does it really matter anyway?

Could you not extend the cable to a socket further away?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

Worztron wrote: »
    Is this change the norm for all new gas cookers?

No, you can still get cookers with battery powered ignition.

Is this change the norm for all new gas cookers? I think it is a step backwards.

No, the industry is the same now as then, you've just bought the wrong cooker for your needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Worztron

jimmyw wrote: »
    Could you not extend the cable to a socket further away?

Not an option and the plug socket is directly over the cooker - that cant be good.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

gary71 wrote: »
    No, the industry is the same now as then, you've just bought the wrong cooker for your needs.

I didn't get it. A relative bought it and never thought about whether the igniter was battery or mains operated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

I was told once, but never verified the source that gas cookers sold in Ireland are required to have flame sensors on the hob as well as the oven and these are what necessitate the mains power.

I was told once, but never verified the source that gas cookers sold in Ireland are required to have flame sensors on the hob as well as the oven and these are what necessitate the mains power.

There mechanical ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

gary71 wrote: »

There mechanical ;)

as I said I never checked.but when I replaced my gas cooker a few years ago, they all had mains plugs.

I suppose if you are right the op can always use matches.

I must try unplugging mine, if it works I won't need to use an inverter during power cuts (the reason I didn't buy an electric cooker)

I suppose if you are right the op can always use matches.

25 years a gas service engineer, so you could say I have my moments.

Is it not a hazard to have a power lead coming out of the back of a gas cooker that gets very hot (especially if the oven and grill are going full out)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

You could say the same of an Electric cooker.

The lead normally enters at low lever where things are much cooler.

Is it not a hazard to have a power lead coming out of the back of a gas cooker that gets very hot (especially if the oven and grill are going full out)?
    Properly installed and the power lead is kept well away from the heat, so should never be an issue. My gas hob has a mains ignition system and the power is via a socket under the worktop.

Get a electrician to place a socket in a position best suited for the cooker, in respect of batteries vs mains, i'v only ever had customers complain about cookers powered by batteries being antiquated as they hate paying me a callout to replace the batteries they forgot about.

Advertisement