Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dog getting sick and can hardly walk?

Options
  • 18-11-2012 5:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

hi all, my dog got sick 4 times last night and can hardly walk now?her back legs seem to be the problem. i think she has been eating a lot of bird seed off the ground in the garden, would this have anything to do with it?she is 13 years old and is a collie lab cross.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

God jim, ring your vet, there'll be the number of the vet on call on the answering machine. Ring them and ask to see if your dog should be seen today. It sounds serious enough. They won't charge you anything for ringing and it'll put your mind at rest.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Yup try and contact your vet, the dog sounds very unwell.

Given it's age, it could be the likes of stroke etc.

Best of luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭jim1989

thanks ye will do. she seems ok now tbh, she is eating a bit and drinking water.but the back legs arent good. she is an old dog.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

jim1989 wrote: »
    thanks ye will do. she seems ok now tbh, she is eating a bit and drinking water.but the back legs arent good. she is an old dog.

If you can't get her to a vet today, try to keep her warm, and eating/drinking, especially drinking.

If she's having trouble with her back legs, you could help her if she needs to go out to the toilet by using a towel under her belly to support her getting out.

Does that make sense? Or just carry her?

yes makes sense mate. she went to the toilet earlier on. ill ring vet and see what his opinion is.

• Advertisement

yes makes sense mate. she went to the toilet earlier on. ill ring vet and see what his opinion is.

That's good news, best wishes, hopefully it's just a bug. Always hard when they start getting old. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

Just cant believe you didnt have a poor dog in that state straight to the vet, honest to God it beggers belief.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,090 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

She needs to see a vet ASAP. At her age you just cant take the chance. It could be a simple infection but she needs to be checked out in case its something more serious

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

My dog was in a similar state a couple of years ago, she was only two at the time. Had to carry her into the vets. Turned out it was some strain of parvo (she was and still is fully vaccinated). Ended up on a drip and it was a close shave!

got vet out after posting this and he couldnt find anything wrong and just said to rest her up. she 100% better now today. not a bother. cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,090 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

My dog was in a similar state a couple of years ago, she was only two at the time. Had to carry her into the vets. Turned out it was some strain of parvo (she was and still is fully vaccinated). Ended up on a drip and it was a close shave!
    Something very similar happened to my guy who was Age 11 at the time. He was vomiting blood and that classic bloody diarrhea that comes with parvo. Happened over the weekend and the vet said if we waited until monday, we'd have lost him. It was still a close call and ever since if anything comes up its straight to the vet

got vet out after posting this and he couldnt find anything wrong and just said to rest her up. she 100% better now today. not a bother. cheers.

Delighted for ya Jim, must be a massive relief :)

What is she eating, i.e what are you feeding her?

she eating very well, just as she was b4 it all happened. 2 big bowls of nuts a day and a bit of meat thrown in. the walking is still not great?she loses power in legs, its hard to describe?vet said she would get stronger?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

I'd be seeing another vet if I were you for a second opinion on her walk, with her age she could possibly be developing arthritis.

Advertisement