Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Writers Block

Options
  • 18-11-2012 4:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Lately I've been very busy with my MA, and dealing with my new life, which even when sometimes there are problems I am happy, and I dont know if that's the reason why, but it's getting harder and harder to write. Ideas coming and going constantly but I don't know how to approach them. It's like I lost track and when I want to write I dont know where to start. Is any one going through this mental block? What do you do or suggest to start writing again?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

It sounds like a cliche, but just sit down and write. Give yourself an hour away from everyone, with the tv and the internet off, and write. The first half hour will feel like torture, but then you'll loosen up and the words will start to flow.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Yavahnna

Thanx for the suggestion! Actually I tried that, I've been there for hours! I don't know if it's because Im really critic with my work and Im not into surrealistic lit.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Ladyblackadder

I would recommend doing something else that is repetitive and boring for a while. Scrubbing floors on your hands and knees, decluttering a messy cupboard, painting a room, that sort of thing. Or else take a long hike or bike ride. Deliberately keep your mind off your writing topic for a while, about 3 days if you have that sort of time, and you might find things clearer when you get back to it. Best of luck anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Cathyht

I don't know if this will help, but sometimes when I'm in that funny avoidance/block phase, I make sure to have a pen and notebook handy everywhere I go. Then when a memory, or thought, or funny way of looking at things comes to mind, I jot it down. After a few days I write it into a 'miscellaneous' file on my pc. This file has become a real source of inspiration when I am actually back writing.

Also another tip to actually get back into the swing of writing long documents, which works for me, is to use the time that's quietest and you're most cosy and relaxed. It could be 11 in the evening, get a few pages done with a nice cuppa and the fire lighting. Before you know it, you'll be back churning pages out again. :)

Advertisement