Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Split up with ex, how will rent allowance be effected?

Options
  • 18-11-2012 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭

Hello, me and my ex girlfriend are receiving rent allowance as a couple in kildare. we where living there for 3 years and on rent allowance for half that time. We have split up and both moved back to our parents house in dublin, but i might have found somewhere for myself in dublin.
    Will I have to inform them straight away about the change in circumstance or wait until I have found a place? Will the current rent allowance be cancelled and i will have to make a fresh new claim or could it carry on to the place I am in now? My ex is planning on moving out in the new year and will also be applying for rent allowance , any advice would be great thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

You'll need to explain your circumstances have changed and that you're moving back to Dublin. I would imagine you'll have to stop the Kildare claim and re-start it in Dublin.

I'm not sure if the CWO or the Central Unit will now deal. Have a look here for how to apply and here for the list of offices. If your area isn't listed, then you need to apply to the CWO.

Hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭MMAGirl

That happened a friend of mine in dublin and the CWO told him to move home to his parents in Donegal. He is 35 and said he's too old to do that and anyway they wouldnt have him as he fell out with them.
    CWO said tough. He ended up having to move to Carlow because rent is cheaper and sharing a tiny apartment with another lad in the same situation. No rent allowance at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭antocann

if you both have moved back to parents house's , and still receiving rent allowance , why have you not notified them ?

you are committing fraud by not doing so , and will be made pay it all back

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Posting this on behalf of a new user who is unable to do so.
    Hi,

I'm splitting up from my husband. We own our own house, and we have a mortgage. Am I entitled to rent allowance if I move out?
    I'm getting a social wefare payment currently.
    I have nowhere else to live.
    Please, any advice............

Constructive advice please- if you don't have something constructive to say to the OP or this poster- please do not reply........

• Registered Users Posts: 25,746 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

State Benefits would be a better forum for this, they are more likely to know how Welfare treat property ownership in this situation.

They will need some information about the size of the outstanding mortgage and any other debts to be able to say anything useful, though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

The poster will not get Rent Allowance. She must be assessed as having a housing need by her Local Authority, and as she has a house in her name, she will not be assessed as so.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,746 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

It's possible that there is some alternative allowance, rather than standard Rent Allowance, available in situations like this though where the OP has an ownership interest in a property but cannot live there.

Just asking "will I get RA" may be the wrong question to take to Welfare, the State Benefits folks may have some suggestions about other ways to phrase the question that will let to a better response.

Advertisement