Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wilson's hospital School/ IOE Leeson Street

Options
  • 18-11-2012 11:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi all :)

I'm in 5th Year in School and having a really hard time with "friends" etc, and things have happened beyond my control, which have made me decide I can't really stay there until the end of 6th year.
    I'm nearly sure I'm going to leave my school for another one, as soon as possible (probably after Christmas).

I don't want to move to anywhere in the locality, but I think I have 2 options.

The institute of education in Dublin (On public transport I'd say it will take me about an hour to get there) Or possibly a boarding school. I've been looking at Wilsons Hopsital School in Westmeath, and I think it really looks great. I might give them a call about visiting the school there.

Just wondering does anyone have any opinions on this?

Thanks so much! :)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You pay your money, they'll be delighted to have you.
    Make sure they can offer you your subject choices (languages etc.).

Not sure what opinion you want on it. If you are unhappy where you are and are sure the 'beyond your control' things won't happen again and can afford the fees, then move. Good luck with it.

P.S. Welcome to boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Username620

I'm gonna give them a ring the institute tomorrow, however i'm fully expecting to be told that I can't enrol so far into the year, in which case I don't know what I'm gonna do!

I was looking it up and they have all the subjects i'm already doing so that's a good thing.

Thanks for the reply :D

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭iliketomoveit

I live about 20 minutes away from wilsons, and tbh i wouldn't recommend it if your looking to do extremely well in your lc, as I haven't heard many spectacular results coming from their school.

Maybe I just haven't heard any of their their good results, but I think you should defo question them on the statistics on it. (For example if you asked my school, they would be able to tell you that 11% of lcs got over 500 points last year).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Well whatever you do don't base your choice solely on results that the school 'gets'. That's either a number taken from the high achievers or an average. Any student wanting to get on can, regardless of what school they're in, and there are few exceptions to that rule. Don't really want to go into the public/private debate here though, that gets messy fast (not to mention giving the moderators an unnecessary headache)

Just stay level headed in your choice and if you are having your own problems try confront those rather than taking them with you to another school where they will resurface.
    Maybe I just haven't heard any of their their good results, but I think you should defo question them on the statistics on it. (For example if you asked my school, they would be able to tell you that 11% of lcs got over 500 points last year).
    Not sure what good statistics will do you, it's up to the student at the end of the day well, not everyone in a 'good' school automatically does well. OP should be looking for a school that they feel comfortable in, not just an A1 machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 O.Pinion

Hi Username620,
    I attended Wilson's Hospital School and I can tell you that the teaching is excellent and students achieve very good results. Many 6th years achieve results in the 500s and higher. They would be happy to give you details of their results - as far as I know it is no.1 in Westmeath and in the top 10 in Leinster. It is not a "grind" school, but aims to offer an all round education, with a huge range of extra curricular activities after school and on weekends. Wilson's is very popular, so you should check if there is a waiting list for 5th year. It's also not a case of "pay your money and they'd be delighted to have you" as someone else has said - I don't know about The Institute, but for Wilson's, if there is a space available, you would have to go for an informal interview and get references from your old school.
    Good luck with your decision!

• Advertisement
Advertisement